[Bug post]Unable to spawn programs(squads/engeneers)

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

Wuffie
level0

[Bug post]Unable to spawn programs(squads/engeneers)

Postby Wuffie » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:56 am

Hi everyone, Ive noticed a few bugs since I started playing this great game, a few crashes and a serious bug that I needed to restart the entire game to resolve, unfortunately none of these bugs or crashes resulted in a black box file being created so here are my system specs and details on how the bugs occur'd

win32-full-steam-v1.4.2

**My preferences file**
ServerAddress = 127.0.0.1
BypassNetwork = 1
IAmAServer = 1
TextLanguage = english
TextSpeed = 15
HelpEnabled = 0
SoundLibrary = dsound
SoundMixFreq = 22050
SoundMasterVolume = 255
SoundChannels = 32
SoundHW3D = 0
SoundSwapStereo = 0
SoundMemoryUsage = 1
SoundBufferSize = 512
SoundDSP = 1
ScreenWidth = 800
ScreenHeight = 600
ScreenWindowed = 0
ScreenZDepth = 16
ScreenColourDepth = 16
ScreenRefresh = 60
RenderLandscapeDetail = 1
RenderWaterDetail = 1
RenderBuildingDetail = 1
RenderEntityDetail = 1
RenderCloudDetail = 1
RenderPixelShader = 1
ControlMouseButtons = 3
ControlMethod = 1
BootLoader = random
UserProfile = none
RenderSpecialLighting = 0
Difficulty = 1
ModSystemEnabled = 1

**my system**
WinXP-SP1 (All hotfix's and security patch's installed)
AMD athlon mp 1600+ over clocked to 1800+
384mb ram
Direct X 9.c (v4.09.0000.0904)

The most annoy bug I have had is to do with spawning programs, it seems that if I am pressing f1 and clicking to create squads or engineers really fast and I accidentally click on another squad it stops me from being able to spawn ANY program at all, If I try to load another one it will queue up in the task manager selection ready to be placed on the map, it wont let me place it no matter what I do, I cant create an officer ether and the only why I have been able to fix it is to exit the entire game and reload it
It might also have something to do with me havering a low frame rate around the time this bug occurs, I saw that the game dose get a little unresponsive during big battles when there's 500+ little Darwin's fighting there little hearts out, whether this has something to do with it not no I am unable to tell as I have only had this bug happen to me twice

At one point in the game I spawns a squad, Im unsure if it was that I spawned them to close to a building or what but one of the lazer men in the group ran off and ended up a fair bit away from the rest in the water (beneath the surface) easily fixed by removing and replacing that squad, but non the less a bit strange

Another bug I found was in the level editor, I had only just finished the game last night and was playing around with it and somehow i raised the entire levels land up out of the water, the triangle count raised up to over 2,000,000 and the game crashed, it also crashed Dr.Watson the windows error and crash thing

there have been other crashes and bugs to but I cant remember as I was lucky enough that it didn't stop me from finishing my game and I just reloaded the game carried on playing :o)

Hope this has been helpful in resolveing the problems or atleast sheading some light on them

Wuffie
D.T.T.D
Montyphy
level5
level5

Re: [Bug post]Unable to spawn programs(squads/engeneers)

Postby Montyphy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:57 pm

Wuffie wrote:The most annoy bug I have had is to do with spawning programs, it seems that if I am pressing f1 and clicking to create squads or engineers really fast and I accidentally click on another squad it stops me from being able to spawn ANY program at all, If I try to load another one it will queue up in the task manager selection ready to be placed on the map, it wont let me place it no matter what I do, I cant create an officer ether and the only why I have been able to fix it is to exit the entire game and reload it

What happens when you press spacebar?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Wuffie
level0

Re: [Bug post]Unable to spawn programs(squads/engeneers)

Postby Wuffie » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:40 pm

Montyphy wrote:What happens when you press spacebar?

Nothing, like I said theres nothing at all, no keys I can press or combonation of keys or anything that would let me spawn another program, I need to quit the Entire game and load it back up :o)

I have just had this bug happen to me again and This time I had a high framerate (around 40) so It dosnt have anything to do with a low FPS, it seems like its more to do with trying to place a program and accadently selecting another one!

When it happens I noticed I can queue up programs to be placed when I know I shouldnt be able to (but I cant place them on the map), for instance when you are about to place a squad on the map you cant load another squad to be places before you place your existing one on the map... unless you select an existing program and then it gets queued up, much like loading the officer program several times before useing it on a minion! ;o)

Wuffie
D.T.T.D
kilkenny_cat
level0

Postby kilkenny_cat » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:33 pm

I have come across the "nospawn" bug 2 or 3 times in the default game (V1.42, US CD version). The target area is correctly highlighted but the unit refuses to spawn. For me, it seems to always happen only when there are already two active units and I am trying to spawn a third. "Restart from last saved position" time...... :cry:

Return to “Windows Issues”