Biosphere Crash

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

Nigel Strange
level0

Biosphere Crash

Postby Nigel Strange » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:12 am

Hello, I'm brand new to the forum. I read the FAQ but I did not see the resolution of this issue, even though it was mentioned. The game crashes on the Biosphere level. It may be happening when the guns get taken over by the red army. In any case, I am using Version 1.4.2 (I actually bought the CD in a retail outlet!). When I downloaded the patch, it appeared to be the same patch level as the game I already had. What was worse, when I applied the patch, the game crashed again. Maybe I didn't apply the patch correctly?

Also: I played the demo. Do the Greenies ever get personal arms in the full-game, like they did in the demo?
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:14 pm

Crashing when Red DGs taking over Battle Cannons is indeed a known bug that has not been fixed yet. Don't let them take over your Cannons in numbers greater than 35 or so (or at all, if it can be helped).

You have the North American boxed version - it was released at 1.4.2, the current patch level, so you shouldn't need to patch it.

And yes, your DGs get lasers at v3.0 and grenades at v4.0.
Nigel Strange
level0

Thank you

Postby Nigel Strange » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:03 am

I tried to avoid having the turrets overtaken and the crashes stopped. Thank you for the information.

About the lasers and grenades: I just finished the game and I never saw these two upgrades, nor did I see some other things I expected to see but read about (caves, bridges, etc.,). Do these things exist in the higher difficulty settings or am I missing out on something?
trickfred
level5
level5

Re: Thank you

Postby trickfred » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:10 am

Nigel Strange wrote:I tried to avoid having the turrets overtaken and the crashes stopped. Thank you for the information.

About the lasers and grenades: I just finished the game and I never saw these two upgrades, nor did I see some other things I expected to see but read about (caves, bridges, etc.,). Do these things exist in the higher difficulty settings or am I missing out on something?

Research your DGs up to v3.0 for lasers, and v4.0 for grenades, just like you'd research any of your other programs. Then park them in front of an enemy, and you'll see them use their weapons; ya sure, you betchya.

Caves and bridges were never implemented past beta stage (if they even made it that far). You must have been reading some really old references to the game. Radar Dishes make bridges kind of redundant anyways, and it was never made clear exactly what Caves were to do, IIRC.

Return to “Windows Issues”