Bugreport

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

bitnissen
level0

Bugreport

Postby bitnissen » Mon May 29, 2006 8:50 pm

Hey,

I'm rather sure there's a bug in the stable version of the newest version of the game. I purchased the game yesterday and been playing it almost from the minute I got it from Steam (-; until...:

Okay, I read the "read me before bugreporting", so here goes:

blackbox.txt:
=========================
DARWINIA BLACK BOX REPORT

VERSION : win32-full-steam-1.4.2
ERROR : 'DirectSound ERROR
C:\Development\Darwinia\code\sound\sound_library_3d_dsound.cpp line 997

Direct sound couldn't set fx
Error Code : E_OUTOFMEMORY
Ran out of memory'

====== PREFERENCES ======

ServerAddress = 127.0.0.1
BypassNetwork = 1
IAmAServer = 1
TextLanguage = english
TextSpeed = 15
HelpEnabled = 1
SoundLibrary = dsound
SoundMixFreq = 44100
SoundMasterVolume = 255
SoundChannels = 32
SoundHW3D = 0
SoundSwapStereo = 0
SoundMemoryUsage = 1
SoundBufferSize = 512
SoundDSP = 1
ScreenWidth = 1280
ScreenHeight = 1024
ScreenWindowed = 0
ScreenZDepth = 24
ScreenColourDepth = 16
ScreenRefresh = 60
RenderLandscapeDetail = 1
RenderWaterDetail = 1
RenderBuildingDetail = 1
RenderEntityDetail = 1
RenderCloudDetail = 1
RenderPixelShader = 1
ControlMouseButtons = 3
ControlMethod = 1
BootLoader = random
UserProfile = NewUser
RenderSpecialLighting = 0
Difficulty = 1

====== STACKTRACE =======

retAddress = 00421646
retAddress = 00481BAB
retAddress = 0047ED8C
retAddress = 00486086
retAddress = 004B3A78
retAddress = 004B4581
retAddress = 004262C2
retAddress = 004D2DCA
retAddress = 7C816D4F
retAddress = 00000000

My computer specs? Gladly (-:
Processor: Amd Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.0 ghz (not overclocked)
Memory: 1.5 GB
DX-version: 9.0c
Graphics-adapter: Ati Radeon 9600
Graphics adapter memory: 256 MB
Maindriver: ati2dvag.dll
Version: 6.14.0010.6614 (english)
Date: 03-05-2006- 18:51:00

Besides, I was in the middle of the map 'Pattern buffer'. The game didn't crash at all in the other maps, but it crashed twice on me in this one.
I wasn't doing anything special in the map, I was doing two different things each time it crashed. My best guess is that it's a memory-leak, as I could conclude it used 2 gigs of memory just when the game crashed and once it was back to normal in windows, it freed most of that up pretty fast. I took two screenshots.

I hope I'm not wrong in that there's a bug, else I'm sorry for having wasted my time (I mean, I hope it's not something funny in my computer, though I'm rather certain it must be this game as it's really very stable in all other apps and games).

Regards
Morten Skyt[/url]
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon May 29, 2006 9:13 pm

This is a well known bug. If you had read the sticky topic, or bothered to search before posting, you might have found your solution. Disable Hardware 3D Sound and Realtime FX.

xander
bitnissen
level0

Postby bitnissen » Mon May 29, 2006 9:16 pm

sorry, I found out so too - after posting - , I expected my bug to be rather special, as it would else have been fixed - I presume final versions of games, even with as high as 1.42 version-numbers are very stable and bugs a rarety.

But yes, I am sorry for my assumption and that I didn't search the forums first (-;

Ah, and there's a workaround, gracias, and sorry for the post on the well-documented problem.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon May 29, 2006 9:59 pm

bitnissen wrote:sorry, I found out so too - after posting - , I expected my bug to be rather special, as it would else have been fixed - I presume final versions of games, even with as high as 1.42 version-numbers are very stable and bugs a rarety.

But yes, I am sorry for my assumption and that I didn't search the forums first (-;

Ah, and there's a workaround, gracias, and sorry for the post on the well-documented problem.

I believe that there are two explanations for the lack of a fix:
1) There is a workaround, thus this bug is of lesser concern than some of hte bugs in earlier versions. This, coupled with the fact that many of the patches to date have added features, rather than fixed bugs, means that this bug has been left in. My guess is that fixing it would take a fair amount of time, and the potential to break other things has kept it from being taken care of.
2) There is only one man writing the code. He is currently working on getting Defcon out the door, revising Uplink code, and has been working on other features for Darwinia. I am sure that the bug will be taken care of, someday. It just may be a while.

xander
bitnissen
level0

Postby bitnissen » Mon May 29, 2006 10:19 pm

Wow, one man?! Oh, I'm sorry if I sounded rude, 'cus now I'm impressed. I do hope though, that the company will prosper to the extent that it will be able to hire another developer (-: I mean, look at the results with just one! I truly am amazed what one guy can code.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon May 29, 2006 10:36 pm

bitnissen wrote:Wow, one man?! Oh, I'm sorry if I sounded rude, 'cus now I'm impressed. I do hope though, that the company will prosper to the extent that it will be able to hire another developer (-: I mean, look at the results with just one! I truly am amazed what one guy can code.

Well, they did hire Icepick... Icepick, a respected member of the community, and hacker extraordinare, was brought on to help with Defcon. So, I suppose that we can assume that there are now two full time developers. You can learn more about the people that make up IV from their about page.

xander

Return to “Windows Issues”