Demo crashes on startup

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

mxlm
level1
level1

Postby mxlm » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:44 am

I have, yes (had the exact same problem with the demo--go me). It had no effect whatsoever (both = 0 and = 1 = crash).

Any other possibiliites, or do I resign myself to not playing this until I upgrade my computer for Supreme Commander/Combat Mission 2?

EDIT: Hmm. Tried the "startupmap = garden" thing from that thread, and now I get a new error: instead of the windows message "darwinia.exe has blahblablah" I get a message from Darwinia that "fatal error: failed to get resource terrain/landscape_mine_bmp" or something to that effect. Meh.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:23 pm

mxlm wrote:I have, yes (had the exact same problem with the demo--go me). It had no effect whatsoever (both = 0 and = 1 = crash).

Any other possibiliites, or do I resign myself to not playing this until I upgrade my computer for Supreme Commander/Combat Mission 2?

EDIT: Hmm. Tried the "startupmap = garden" thing from that thread, and now I get a new error: instead of the windows message "darwinia.exe has blahblablah" I get a message from Darwinia that "fatal error: failed to get resource terrain/landscape_mine_bmp" or something to that effect. Meh.

I would check the premissions on the directory that you are using for Darwinia, and I would consider redownloading it from IV, and reinstalling. That error looks like it is not finding one of the files that it needs to play...

xander
mxlm
level1
level1

Postby mxlm » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:00 am

Tried it, no joy. If in fact it isn't finding a file it needs, what is the name (used in the preferences.txt) of the demo level? Maybe setting startup map = [demolevel] would work.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:33 am

mxlm wrote:Tried it, no joy. If in fact it isn't finding a file it needs, what is the name (used in the preferences.txt) of the demo level? Maybe setting startup map = [demolevel] would work.

The error given suggests that a file is missing. Are you using the full version or the demo? Steam or non-Steam? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

The demo level is called Launchpad.

xander
mxlm
level1
level1

Postby mxlm » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:46 pm

As I said, I'm using the demo. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I Had the same issue with both the demo off steam and the introversion site. I'll give launchpad a shot when I get home today.
mxlm
level1
level1

Postby mxlm » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:20 am

Heh. So using the launchpad line brings me back to...defcon.exe has blahblahblahwindowsmessage.

Ah well, I guess I'm waiting until I get a new computer. Thanks for your time/help, though.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:22 pm

mxlm wrote:Heh. So using the launchpad line brings me back to...defcon.exe has blahblahblahwindowsmessage.

Ah well, I guess I'm waiting until I get a new computer. Thanks for your time/help, though.

Hrm... I'm sorry I couldn't be more useful. :(

xander
K25125
level0

Postby K25125 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:57 am

i found out that its not the demo, it's the level. If u delete the line:
StartMap = launchpad
(Bottom line), u will see the main screen. It doesnt really get u playin the game, but it's better than not being able to see the game at all.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:53 pm

mxlm wrote:...defcon.exe has blahblahblahwindowsmessage.

Wait, what? Defcon.exe?

Return to “Windows Issues”