finally got a picture of the error

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

ghstrydr
level0

finally got a picture of the error

Postby ghstrydr » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:39 am

Again, my cpu just shuts down, and it matters not that I have unchecked the auto restart button...
I have a pic of the error but it is somewhat cut off: I will do my best to post the most of it. The "*" represent missing words, that I was not able to capture on my pic. You have no idea how hard it is to capture a two second error message when your cpu crashes, and you have no idea when it is going to happen...EDIT: I found the error code online, but there was no real fixes applying to windows xp home, the advice was for widows 2000 & some NT server edition...Here is the full error code.

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.
If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your
computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Run a system diagnostic utility supplied by your hardware manufacturer. In
particular, run a memory check and check for faulty or mismatched memory. Try
changing video adapters.
Disable or remove any newly installed hardware and drivers.
Disable or remove any newly installed software. If you need to use safe mode
to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select
Advanced Startup Options, and then select safe mode.
Technical information:
***Stop: 0x0000007F (0x00000008, 0x80042000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

So there it is. I have never had any issues with my memory, or video card. My cpu runs smooth playing every other game in my library, even crappy demos that have huge bugs...I have no idea how to run a memory test, but have never had any issues, except for this game.

Any thoughts or insights would be helpful. [/img]
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:14 pm

Perfect. This is not software related :)

First, a stop message 0x0000007F means UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP. Your code also has a modifier, 0x00000008 meaning you have a 'Double fault', which means that an exception occurs while trying to call the handler for a prior exception. Normally, the two exceptions can be handled serially, however there are several exceptions that cannot be handled serially and in this situation the processor signals a double fault. The two primary causes for this are hardware and kernel stack overflows. Hardware problems are usually related to CPU, RAM, or bus. Kernel stack overflows are almost always caused by faulty kernel-mode drivers.

So, solutions.
  • If either software or hardware can cause a particular trap, a debug is required to determine which is the cause. If you suspect a hardware problem, try the following hardware troubleshooting steps:
    1. Test the RAM in the computer by running the diagnostic software that is provided by the computer manufacturer. Replace any RAM that is reported as bad. Also, make sure that all the RAM in the computer is the same speed.
    2. Try removing or swapping out controllers, cards, or other peripherals.
    3. Try a different motherboard on the computer.
  • If you are over clocking the speed of your processor, set it back to the speed at which it is designed to run.

Hope that helps.

(Thanks to Microsoft for the help there)

NeoThermic
ghstrydr
level0

Postby ghstrydr » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:20 pm

Will try. I also need to clean the case, and fans, which I usually do regularly, but see alot of dust in there. In microsofts knowlege base, they state this can cause this issue with motherboards and equipment that are very dusty. Where can I find a memory testing tool that is easy to use? I am using corsair, XMS. Not sure where or if any memory testing tools came with it.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:00 pm

For memory testing: http://www.memtest86.com/

Just read how to use it and fire it up (IIRC its a self booting program). That should tell you if your RAM is OK :)

NeoThermic

Return to “Windows Issues”