Cannot play mods

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

dralkr
level0

Cannot play mods

Postby dralkr » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:20 pm

Hello all,
Want to first say what an excellent forum for all things Darwinia. I have beaten the game and enjoyed it immensely.
I have downloaded several mods, installed them into a mods folder in the right spot under darwinia.
However, when I try to load up a mod, it always makes the world come up where just the garden level is visible. I tried restarting Darwinia and creating a new profile as suggested in many other places on this site, but nothing seems to work. In fact, I believe I have tried every thing I could find on this site and nothing works?
Am I just being stupid and missing something. The mods are unrared or unaced or unzipped in their right directories under darwinia and yet I can't seem to get the darn things to load up.
Please help me. I am jonesing for more Darwinia, as is my 10 yr old son!

Thanks a million.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:33 pm

There are some oddities with the mod loader in Darwinia. The locations generally get lumped together in the center of the map, and shapes, sprites, and textures don't load. The best way to load a mod, in my opinion, is to first quite Darwinia, then open up preferences.txt. There are two lines that you want to change:

Code: Select all

UserProfile = TPW
Mod = The_Particles_Within

UserProfile should be changed to from "TPW" to the name of the profile you want to use (if you put the name of a profile there that has not been previously used, it will create a new one). Mod should be changed to the name of the mod that you wish to play. Once you have made those changes, save preferences.txt and fire up Darwinia. All of the shapes should load, and the locations should be in the right places.

xander
dralkr
level0

Postby dralkr » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:51 pm

First off, thank you for the reply.

I did exactly what you stated in your reply above. When I start up Darwinia I get the world map that has nothing on it but "garden" level. If you go to the mods menu it says whatever mod I tried to load is there, but i cannot seem to get it on my world map. Any ideas?

thanks
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:21 am

When you extracted the mod, did you maintain the directory structure? If you look in your mod folder, you should see one folder for every mod. Each of those folders should, in turn, contain, for example, "game.txt" and "levels/". One of the problems that people commonly have is that they put the mod directory one level too deep. So, again, you should have a path that looks something like this:

mods/StrickenSouls/game.txt

and not like this:

mods/StrickenSouls0.9.6/StrickenSouls/game.txt

xander
dralkr
level0

Postby dralkr » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:12 am

Thank you very much sir, that is exactly what I did, doh!!!

Appreciate your help kind sir.

Now off to conquer and pillage!!!

RARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:20 am

dralkr wrote:Thank you very much sir, that is exactly what I did, doh!!!

Appreciate your help kind sir.

Now off to conquer and pillage!!!

RARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No problem. And if you don't want to "RARRRR!!!!", you could always "ZIPPPPP!!!!!"

xander

Return to “Windows Issues”