Selecting sound driver

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

jwatt
level0

Selecting sound driver

Postby jwatt » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:00 am

Do to the studio work I do, I have multiple sound cards in my computer. How can I specify which sound device I want Darwinia to use? It seems to choose one on its own, and for some reason it is not simply going with the one that I've told Windows to use by default in the Control Panel...

Thanks in advance for any replies!
da_zeg
level2
level2

Postby da_zeg » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:54 pm

On my dual soundcarded rig, Darwinia used the soundcard set to default in the windows control panel. I haven't used this computer for ages but I dont see any reason why it would change.
jwatt
level0

Postby jwatt » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:23 am

da_zeg wrote:On my dual soundcarded rig, Darwinia used the soundcard set to default in the windows control panel. I haven't used this computer for ages but I dont see any reason why it would change.

I can't see any reason why Darwinia would choose any sound driver other than the one specified as default in the Windows Control Panel either, but it's still happening on my machine. Any other ideas? Introversion?
Phil Pendlebury
level0

Postby Phil Pendlebury » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:41 pm

I am also having this problem.

I have a pro audio sound card in my machine which has 8 analog out and 8 digital outs.

My default sound card in Windows is a different USB device which works perfectly with all other games.

However, Darwinia has selected "Layla Digital Out 7+8" as the sound output and I can not change it, even to use th Windows default (which is using direct sound btw).

Please help...
charles darwinia
level0

Postby charles darwinia » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:17 pm

Also having this problem, and I have a similar soundcard set up.
charles darwinia
level0

Postby charles darwinia » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:36 pm

Strange, I just tried experimenting with some stuff and I've got the sound back. Here's what I did.

Went to control panel: Sound and audio devices: Audio: and then selected one of my other soundcards from the Sound Playback menu. Applied settings and loaded Darwinia. Darwinia crashed. Then I went back to control panel and selected yet another soundcard, and Darwinia again crashed when I tried to load it. I went through all my soundcards and loaded Darwinia. Finally I went to control panel and selected my proper soundcard. Loaded Darwinia, looked like it was going to crash but then it kept going strong, and sound returned.

Hope this is of some use to you all. I'm running Windows XP with an E-MU soundcard.

Return to “Windows Issues”