Pausing

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

th3 ru13r
level1
level1

Pausing

Postby th3 ru13r » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:19 pm

with the new patch i have a glitch that means the game will pause (it says pause on screen) at random times without me pressing anything.

i know the game will pause when you press the windows key (at least on my keyboard) and that the only way to unpause it is by bring the darwinia program back up again, both normally and on my problem

ps i have only tried it on pattern buffer
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:30 pm

I don't know if this is of any relevence, but the Macintosh version can be paused by pressing CapsLock, and also automatically pauses if it is not the frontmost application. The two suggestions that I might make (speaking with no knowledge what-so-ever) are to try pressing CapsLock (make sure that it is off) and to make sure that there is nothing in the background that is fighting to get attention. Otherwise, it sounds like a bug.

xander
Grackle
level0

Postby Grackle » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:32 pm

I have the same problem, but with the linux client. It's incredibly annoying, and I have no idea what causes it, or how to get it going again. :(

[edit] Yup, this is pretty much unplayable. Now I wish I hadn't wasted my money on it. I bought the anthology, so I guess 2 out of 3 isn't bad..
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:43 pm

As I stated three years ago, Darwinia will pause if it is not the foreground app. If it is 'randomly' pausing on you, I would suggest that it probably thinks that it is losing keyboard focus. Do you have focus following the mouse? Do you have any other apps running that might be grabbing keyboard focus? Are you hitting capslock?

I would love to be able to help you, but, thus far, all you've done is complain that it doesn't work. If you want help fixing it, I would suggest (a) a better attitude, and (b) more information. Do you notice any pattern to the pausing? Are you playing full screen or windowed? What OS/distribution are you running (Ubuntu? Red Hat? Kubuntu? Really Small Linux? some distro you found in a dumpster?)? If you are running this from a terminal, what do you see when you run Darwinia? Is there any information that you can provide?

xander
briceman2
level2
level2

Postby briceman2 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:32 am

Grackle wrote:I have the same problem, but with the linux client.

Um... the latest linux patch is 1.4.0b9... are you sure you're running 1.5 which is the latest windows version? I have run the linux version for several years and have had no such problems. In fact, the linux engine runs up to 2x faster than the others on heavy DG levels. You should feel blessed with linux goodness.

@Grackle & the ruler

In any case, an intelligent thing for both of you to do is to compare windowed vs. full screen modes. Do you have the same problems both ways? If not, what's different?

xander is correct that the linux and mac (and windows?) versions will pause if the game window loses focus. So if you have a status widget that periodically grabs focus to update its cute thingy display, that would be enough to put darwinia into pause. But it should exit pause as soon as it regains focus. Try closing everything including any cute widgets that always stay on top.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:39 am

Hey, briceman: th3 ru13r isn't here anymore. Check out the original timestamp.

xander
briceman2
level2
level2

Postby briceman2 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:47 am

too tired! ;)

just as well. he'd probably get upset I was too lazy to type 3's in hs name.

Return to “Windows Issues”