Cannot Select Officer, Infinite Officers ...

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

film11
level3
level3

Cannot Select Officer, Infinite Officers ...

Postby film11 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:42 am

I was trying to replicate HS' officer crash bug but I couldnt after deselecting the officer and pressing alt then releasing the game didnt crash. I did however noticed that I could no longer select the officer with alt tab since he was not in the task manager anymore! I could left click to select him but that was it. He responded to orders too. After restarting I noticed that after I created officers they didnt register as tasks. This meant I could create as many officers as I liked. After removing a couple by right clicking I found I could no longer remove others. Also, none of the officers registered in the task manager which meant I had to left click to select them.
LLamaBoy
level5
level5

Postby LLamaBoy » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:01 pm

I can't be sure, but I think it's by design that you can make lots of officers. Imagine a scenario, for example, where you need to take a refinery and 4 mines all on different islands. You'd inevitably need at least one engineer and one squad, leaving just one task slot at the startif you fill that up with an officer, then a single Engineer does half the gathering of spirits when you obtain an incubator, giving you less Darwinians. On the other hadn if you make an Engineer to speed up gathering/research, you'd then have to wait for that to finish before making an officer and commanding your Darwinians about; and then you'd only be restricted to one Officer, maybe two if you've managed to research the Task Manager some.
Now with Officers not taking up Task space, you could make a few groups to go around each island simultaneously, taking everything in one go.

I'm not saying this is the right way to play, but restricting Officer count to fit into task manager slots severely restricts the variety of strategies you can use.
rob_quill
level1
level1

Postby rob_quill » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:24 pm

I think there should be some sort if limit, but limiting it to the taskmanager number is too extreme. I guess there are kinda self-imposed limits, as it would get a bit impractical to have too many officers?

Rob

Return to “Windows Issues”