How the hell do I complete the demo, it's broken !

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

hallusk
level0

How the hell do I complete the demo, it's broken !

Postby hallusk » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:57 am

Can someone please tell me how to finish the rocket demo level ?!
I have captured all the spawn points and activated all the pumps. My passenger count holds fast at 15% and fuel at 99%. I have large numbers of darwinians (green) hovering all around the ship and spawn points and bugger all happens.
briceman2
level2
level2

Postby briceman2 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:43 am

1) what version of Darwinia are you using to play the demo?

2) how long did you wait after fuel reached 99%? The DGs don't start entering the Rocket until the last moment when the fuel rises above 98 or 99% (forget which). And the fuel ramps up fast then slows down to a crawl at the end. So if you are impatient, you might think nothing's happening. I don't think this is your problem, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

2.5) maybe some of your solar panels slowed down temporarily or got taken down by red meanies... which would cause the fuel rate to slow, causing the already slow top-off to appear to freeze? Double check you hold *all* the solar panels. The speed of the fuel is directly related to the amount of juice coming in from the Sun Microsystems.

3) did you setup a Profile for playing the demo? I can't remember if the EscapeRocket system works properly without one. (The state of the Rocket gets recorded in the mission file, so it knows if it's been blown up... it only launches after it's been blown up once and then refueled.) You could try using a profile if you didn't before.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:46 am

4) are your darwinians actually milling about near the entrances to the rocket?
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
hallusk
level0

Postby hallusk » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:24 am

They just mill around by the ship. I've actually figured it out. If you have the max number of Darwinians the spawns won't create more, and as they are the only ones that seem to get on the ship it's impossible to complete unless you start blowing your Darwinians up ! Which I did.
briceman2
level2
level2

Postby briceman2 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:49 am

hallusk wrote:They just mill around by the ship. I've actually figured it out. If you have the max number of Darwinians the spawns won't create more, and as they are the only ones that seem to get on the ship it's impossible to complete unless you start blowing your Darwinians up ! Which I did.

...what's probably happening (for anyone who is curious) is that your excess of DGs is saturating the AI.

Before I explain that, if you decide to replay the level again and end up in the same situation, try exiting and re-entering the level... Can you do that with the Demo2 game? I can't remember. But re-entering the level will reconstitute all the DGs but wipe their memories of what they were trying to do before you saved.

Just out of curiosity, how did you end up with an overpop at the end? Did you capture the rocket island *before* you went out to start all the fuel pumps? Most people play it the other way around, so the rocket is already fueled up when you capture the spawners...

DGs pick building AI targets and then "tell" the buildings about their interest. The buildings keep track of how many DGs are headed towards them. For control ports (the places DGs stand), there is an upper limit of about 40 interested DGs, and if that many are already headed to a single port, no more DGs can pick that port as their AI target.

So something similar may have been happening with your DGs excess population: the DGs saturated the entrance doors' AI limits, then the DGs got distracted by fighting and never returned to their original commitments to the doors. Normally DGs will remember what they were first doing and return to it when safe, but there may be something weird about the way you were playing the level that exposed a bug in the game.

Newly created DGs have clean AI minds and will be able to pick new AI targets like the entrance doors. Your overpop shut down all the spawners because most levels limit total populations to prevent chugging on slow machines.

So your solution to nuke your own was the right one!
ciacho0000
level0

Other Problems

Postby ciacho0000 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:14 pm

I think I have a smilar problem. My passangers are up to 101%, while my fuel is stuck at 99%. I've checked all my panels, and the rocket even started. It went a long way up(a few times the height of the map), and is still ascending, but the mission won't end.
Is there any way to fix this without replaying the map?

Return to “General”