Use of left-right mouse button at the same time

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

Cotun
level0

Use of left-right mouse button at the same time

Postby Cotun » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:40 am

Hi everybody

Is there any way to playing without pressing the left and right mouse button together in the game? Unfortunately I came across this issue when playing the tutorial, I was unable to fire grenades at all :)

I use a different type of mouse for anti-RSI purposes and unfortunately it's totally impossible for me to press both buttons at the same time. Is there any way of assigning one of the buttons to a keyboard shortcut or switching the right and middle mouse buttons around. I can use the middle and left-right buttons independently, but not the left and right buttons. This may sound like a serious design flaw in the mouse and maybe it is, but I've never encountered a problem like this in all the years I've used it :)

Thanks for any help.
xander
level5
level5

Re: Use of left-right mouse button at the same time

Postby xander » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:02 am

Well, Darwinia does have a Mac version, and that version plays nicely with one button mice. Assuming that the two versions are not totally different in this regard, add the following line to preferences.txt :

Code: Select all

ControlMouseButtons = 1

You may already have a ControlMouseButtons line in the prefs file -- if so, change whatever number is there to a 1. Left-click should still behave the same, i.e. click to order units to go places. Click and hold the right mouse button to issue officer orders, armour orders, or to have squads fire . Use shift-click to fire squads special weapons. That should work, I think.

xander
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:30 pm

Doesn't work. I changed the line as a test, and it seemed to change nothing. I'll check some other lines in preferences.txt, and see if I can get it to work properly for one mouse button.

Shwart!!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:21 pm

Shwart!! wrote:Doesn't work. I changed the line as a test, and it seemed to change nothing. I'll check some other lines in preferences.txt, and see if I can get it to work properly for one mouse button.

Shwart!!

Shwart!!, are you using the Windows version or the Linux version? I know it works in the Mac version, because tested it extensively during the original betas, and just went back and tried it now. It may not work in the Win version, but I would consider it more likely to work in the Linux version, as the Mac and Linux versions are built on the same code.

xander
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:42 pm

I dunno about the Linux version. I've got the Windows version, and it doesn't work. It might on linux, though. Excellent point.
I know well how the single-button thing works, as for awhile all I had was a demo on my grandparents' Mac, and so I had to use the single-button approach.

Thank you for including the !!s in my name. :P :) It makes me happy.

Shwart!!
Cotun
level0

Postby Cotun » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:28 pm

Hi everybody

Sorry for the delay. I've been really busy lately.

Thanks for the suggestion Xander. The ControlMouseButtons option does work in Linux and it resolved my problem with the game. I should be thankful I use Linux in this case I guess, because it wouldn't of worked with Windows.

As a suggestion to Introversion, I guess that's a rationale alone for implementing this option with Windows too, or having a workaround available. I have seen this button issue with other games, but there was always a way around it (via keyboard shortcut mainly). It seems Darwinia is the first I've seen where there isn't anything conclusive. It would be helpful if a way around it was provided at some point in the future.

Thanks again to everybody who replied and thanks Introversion for the game too :)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:45 am

Cotun wrote:--==<snip>==--

I am glad that I could help, and think that you are right on with the suggestion of implementing this feature in Windows, as well. I was not aware that it had not been implemented in Windows.

xander

Return to “General”