Darwinia? Defcon?

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

Which do you like better? (If you had to pick one)

Defcon
21%
Darwinia
69%
I refuse to answer
10%

Total votes: 52
deltantor
level2
level2

Postby deltantor » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:48 am

RabidZombie wrote:
deltantor wrote:
RabidZombie wrote:The lesser of two evils, 'cept the opposite. (The greater of two goods?)

I love 'em both, but I prefer Darwinia. It reminds me of Cannon Fodder. Ah, happy days.

i was just playing cannon fodder 2 under dos.....

Doesn't work in XP :'(

Ah well. I still got my Megadrive (screw Genesis) sitting by my TV, with a copy of Cannon Fodder in the slot.

MEGADRIVE!

ok, now ive cooled down over seeing someone actually mentioning the megadrive, try and get cannon fodder running in DOSbox using the d-fend frontend, it might work, and to tell you the truth i cant help much because i dont use dosbox anymore
Hendar23
level1
level1

Postby Hendar23 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:21 am

I've got cannon fodder working under XP, can't remember how though sorry...I'll have to try again and let you know.
"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Hendar23
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:05 pm

deltantor wrote:
RabidZombie wrote:
deltantor wrote:
RabidZombie wrote:The lesser of two evils, 'cept the opposite. (The greater of two goods?)

I love 'em both, but I prefer Darwinia. It reminds me of Cannon Fodder. Ah, happy days.

i was just playing cannon fodder 2 under dos.....

Doesn't work in XP :'(

Ah well. I still got my Megadrive (screw Genesis) sitting by my TV, with a copy of Cannon Fodder in the slot.

MEGADRIVE!

ok, now ive cooled down over seeing someone actually mentioning the megadrive, try and get cannon fodder running in DOSbox using the d-fend frontend, it might work, and to tell you the truth i cant help much because i dont use dosbox anymore

Cannon Fodder 1 works under Xp for me (with tweaking), but Cannon Fodder 2 refuses to run either in colour or with sound in DosBox. Shame.
Nameless_
level1
level1

Postby Nameless_ » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:51 am

Defcon
Darwinia
Uplink

When I first played uplink I was amazed, but after a while the tension is gone, you know how all the software works, you realise the game is quite small in scope, and it becomes obvious that it's only a game and doesn't come close to realism. Brilliant first effort from a small developer, still.

Defcon is just great, it doesn't do for me what I'd usually expect from a game, like provide constant variety and keep me glued to the screen for hours, but it's almost in a different box from "games". I don't play Defcon when I want to play a game, I play Defcon when I want to play Defcon. It's a tactical outlet. When you're over the atmospherics and cool stylings, it becomes a very bare and potentially deep set of rules for you to compete with people. Kinda like chess, but less geeky and boring. You don't play chess to look at the pieces, or to come up with interesting and new things to do with them.

Darwinia is a great, quirky game. For me though, it's where IV went from indie, niche, "difficult to approach" games, to putting one foot in the mainstream. That's not a bad thing, but if I want mainstream games, there are thousands of well produced mainstream games out there, Darwinia luckily has more to offer than that but IV's limitations at the time, and their smaller scope compared to developers with masses of money shows itself a lot more with this game. When you're done grinning like a kid at the awesomeness of the concept and style, there are pangs of realising it would have been bigger, better and more solidly built. The engine is very flaky. With games like Defcon and Uplink you don't need to worry about that, you know what you're dealing with, they're small, beautifully realised, focused pieces of pure gaming bliss, without too many unnecessary bells and whistles. They do what they do, that's what I love about Introversion games.
Krest
level2
level2

Re: Darwinia? Defcon?

Postby Krest » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:37 pm

Oh, I don't have any particular criterion when I anastrozole bu https://steroidsforsale-uk.com/anastraz ... icals.html - I just go to this site and buy this drug at a good price. I like the fact that after taking it, the body seems to be renewed. And if steroid drugs do different tricks with the body, but at the same time can do harm, then aromatase inhibitors do not spoil anything at all, they, on the contrary, "clean up" for such heavy drugs. It is very important to remember this.

Return to “General”