How come shop price is €30<=> steam €20?

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

chimera
level2
level2

How come shop price is €30<=> steam €20?

Postby chimera » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:52 pm

How come the shop price of darwinia (if you order it in a CD case) is €30 whilst the steam version is €20? Is it solely to cover the box and CD costs?

By the way... I'm thinking of buying the game, are there still some people playing this game cos I would want to release some levels I create with the map editor. I like level editing very much with other games so I probably like this one also. But... if there is no one to play my levels, well then it's no use in making them right? So is there still some activity here?

(why do I always buy the game about a year later when it's released? Same thing happened with uplink, and still... was a beta tester for darwinia)
Leonaken
level3
level3

Postby Leonaken » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:36 am

Oh hell yea people still play this and do mods. Though the mod/level scene has always been pretty low-key.

As far as pricing at a brick-and-mortar game shop is concerned, I have no idea. IV just stuck a deal for retail distribution in the US for a higher price than on Steam, though it does come with some bonus merchandise.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:31 am

You also have to take into consideration the shop is likely to have large overheads. Shelf space isn't free afterall.

Plus, the shop wants to get as much as they can out of you. Its nothing new that you can often find better deals online these days.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:53 pm

Manufacturing costs, printing costs, distribution costs, shop markup, VAT, taxes, etc etc. All passed on to the consumer. Thats why buying online almost always saves you money. I thought the reason for this price difference would be pretty obvious really...
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:01 am

hitm4n wrote:Manufacturing costs, printing costs, distribution costs, shop markup, VAT, taxes, etc etc. All passed on to the consumer. Thats why buying online almost always saves you money. I thought the reason for this price difference would be pretty obvious really...

Not everyone is wise in the mysterious ways of retail manufacturing. *shrug*

Most people think anything they buy in a store just grows on a tree somewhere fully formed; boxes and plastic packages containing consumer fruit ripe for plucking. My kid thinks you squeeze hamburgers out of a cow the same way you squeeze milk out of one (I also don't think he sees the correlation between 'chicken' and 'chickens').
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:00 pm

a lack off educashun i gess.

Return to “General”