NeoThermic
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:28 pm

xander wrote:making fun of n00bs

xander

i THOUGHT that was the problem...

Back to the newspaper, it sounds like a very good idea. Sell it for couple of bucks on the streets to Darwinia-loving fans and introduce them to all the possibilities in the world.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:44 pm

Major Cooke wrote:
xander wrote:making fun of n00bs

xander

i THOUGHT that was the problem...

Back to the newspaper, it sounds like a very good idea. Sell it for couple of bucks on the streets to Darwinia-loving fans and introduce them to all the possibilities in the world.

You know, I try not to make fun of you, but you make it so easy. For instance, stuandrews is not talking about "selling [a newspaper] for a couple of bucks...to Darwinia-loving fans," but writing an article about IV, Darwinia, &c. for a large British (United Kingdomish? -- what is the correct adjective?) newspaper. In summary:

Code: Select all

*     <-- the point

( )
   \ | /
     -
     |     <-- you
     ^
    / \
Yes, I know, my ASCII art skills are crap. I don't care:)

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:09 pm

xander wrote: a large British (United Kingdomish? -- what is the correct adjective?) newspaper.

Are you an American or an United Statesian? ;)

(translation: the former is correct, we are British, so our papers would be too ;) )

stuandrews: What paper is this? I'll be intrested in obtaining a copy when the story is run.

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:18 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
xander wrote: a large British (United Kingdomish? -- what is the correct adjective?) newspaper.

Are you an American or an United Statesian? ;)

It depends: to whom am I speaking? Many (not all) folk from Canada, Mexico, Central America, and South America get kind of pissed off when residents of the US call ourselves Americans. By the same token, I wouldn't necessarily call you English, as you might be from Scotland, Wales, or North Ireland (for instance). I am uncertain as to what, exactly, is described by British, and felt it better to err on the side of caution, and, possibly, humour.

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:24 pm

xander wrote:By the same token, I wouldn't necessarily call you English, as you might be from Scotland, Wales, or North Ireland (for instance). I am uncertain as to what, exactly, is described by British, and felt it better to err on the side of caution, and, possibly, humour.

xander

A Scottish accent, a Welsh accent and an Irish accent are really easy to distinguish from an British English accent. However, I doubt any would mind being called British. However, the Americans need to learn accents. When I lived out there, I was called Australian, Russian, South African (Kid you not!), and Spanish (I mean, wtf!?).

NeoThermic
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:39 pm

xander wrote:Many (not all) folk from Canada, Mexico, Central America, and South America get kind of pissed off when residents of the US call ourselves Americans.

You can call yourself American, no problem. I just don't want people calling ME American. I live in Canada. (North American's fine, but who really ever says that?)

I love your country. In fact, one of the best vacations I ever had was a month spent on the California coast, around the Morrow Bay/SLO area. But many people (including myself, but that's not my point) dislike some of your government's politics and policies regarding international affairs, so don't want to be associated with that in any way. And I do have pride in my own country - most Korean people don't like being called Chinese or Japanese either.

Plus, you guys owe us money you stole in the form of 'softwood tarrifs'.

On topic: I played Uplink, and while I thought it was really well done, and daringly different from any kind of game I'd seen in years, it really wasn't my cup of tea. It made enough of an impact on me that I kept IV's site bookmarked. Checking their website periodically over the next few months revealed that they were planning the next game.

Once the game was released, I had a copy shipped to me (I have friends and relatives in the UK, and regularly get DVDs and such sent over. My mom was from Liverpool!). I grew up with nearly all the culture infuences that went into creating the visual style of the game (Tron, older Arcade games, etc.), so the game was instantly recognizable as something I'd want to play, being a child of the eighties.
Last edited by trickfred on Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mef
level2
level2

Postby Mef » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:26 am

-
Last edited by Mef on Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:00 am

( )
   \ | /
     -
     |   
     ^
    / \
Yes, I know, my ASCII art skills are crap. I don't care:)

xander[/quote]
...thats actually a good drawing. i envy your skill.
Dave2
level4
level4

Postby Dave2 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:32 am

xander wrote:I am uncertain as to what, exactly, is described by British, and felt it better to err on the side of caution, and, possibly, humour.

Whilst GB doesn't cover the whole of the UK (Northern Ireland isn't in GB), "British" is the general term typically used.

On a side, semi-related note, UCAS forms cause some confusion (for me, at least) by making UK applicants state whether they're English, Welsh, Scottish, probably Irish (I can't remember) or British.
Luigi300
level5
level5

Postby Luigi300 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:12 pm

Chris Rohl, Florida, USA.

Miah: Send me a copy of the newspaper along with that damn Uplink :evil:
Luigi for mod in 2006!
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:22 pm

xander wrote:

*     <-- the point

( )
   \ | /
     -
     |     <-- you
     ^
    / \

Notice:

^

Innuendo?

It's the little details which make ASCII art awesome.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:11 pm

prophile wrote:Innuendo?

It's the little details which make ASCII art awesome.

:)

xander

Return to “General”