Introversion's third game : New Defcon Screenshots!

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:26 pm

Chris said that they were planning a Linux and Mac version of Defcon.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:42 am

Here's a question: Will Mac users be able to play against PC and Linux users?

Not having played any cross-platform online multiplayer PC games before, I wouldn't know. But I heard that in Ghost Recon for example, XBOX users can't play against PS2 users or PC users. Only against people on the same platform.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
mindule
level2
level2

Postby mindule » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:50 am

I bet AmbrosiaSW is doing the Mac port again.

Wow. I cannot wait. Too bad I'm not old enough to have a cubical to play it in : (
Bamelin
level2
level2

Postby Bamelin » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:29 am

I'd love to see the game ported to 360 Live Arcade.

Hey a man can dream ...
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:07 pm

xyzyxx wrote:Here's a question: Will Mac users be able to play against PC and Linux users?

Not having played any cross-platform online multiplayer PC games before, I wouldn't know. But I heard that in Ghost Recon for example, XBOX users can't play against PS2 users or PC users. Only against people on the same platform.

They should be able to, there are plenty of examples where Windows and Linux users can play games with each other (Unreal Tournament springs to mind). The Ghost Recon issue is a little more complicated, because they are on three different hardware platforms.

mindule wrote:I bet AmbrosiaSW is doing the Mac port again.

Ambrosia have only published Mac ports of Introversion software, they haven't developed any.

Bamelin wrote:I'd love to see the game ported to 360 Live Arcade.

I'm really not sure how well the game would work on an X-Box, or any other console.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:54 pm

Darksun wrote:
xyzyxx wrote:Here's a question: Will Mac users be able to play against PC and Linux users?

They should be able to, there are plenty of examples where Windows and Linux users can play games with each other (Unreal Tournament springs to mind). The Ghost Recon issue is a little more complicated, because they are on three different hardware platforms.
My question was mainly about Mac users playing against other platforms. Is that considered to be a separate hardware platform?
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:56 pm

You can get Unreal Tournement for Mac aswell.
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:15 pm

Unless the issue of cross-endian networking gets in the way, Macs should be able to play against PCs fine.
Rezmason
level1
level1

Postby Rezmason » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:24 pm

When this game comes out, I'm nuking the hell out of all of you. :D
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:49 pm

*searches for a packet sniffer :P*
nihilesthetics2
level2
level2

Postby nihilesthetics2 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:52 pm

I would like to know if IV are going to include a mod editor for defcon and whether the game is going to be as accessible to the modding community as Darwinia was. Being multiplayer based should definately give the game longevity, but without the modding capabilitis of darwinia, I wouldnt still be here on these forums, and Im sure many people are the same, so they should definately continue that tradition in their games.

N2
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:58 pm

nihilesthetics2 wrote:I would like to know if IV are going to include a mod editor for defcon and whether the game is going to be as accessible to the modding community as Darwinia was. Being multiplayer based should definitely give the game longevity, but without the modding capabilitis of darwinia, I wouldnt still be here on these forums, and Im sure many people are the same, so they should definitely continue that tradition in their games.

N2

Perhaps. On the other hand, the way that the game has been described, it doesn't sound like there is much to mod. I can see new sounds or perhaps world maps, maybe an interface for building AIs (that is a bit of a strech, though), but I don't see much more than that. It sounds more like a multiplayer arcade game with RTS elements than anything else. How much Tetris or Galaga modding can you accomplish, and does that change gameplay at all?

Of course, only time will tell.
nihilesthetics2
level2
level2

Postby nihilesthetics2 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:21 pm

youre right that we cant really tell until the game is released whether it even makes any sense to mod it or not. But it seems that strategy games in general seem to have a very active modding scene. New maps, unit abillities, weapons could all change the strategies required in both subtle and groundbreaking ways.

It seems that now would be a good time to bring it to IVs attention. Its still not to late to stick some modding features in there. And if they were thinking about it, maybe it would be a good idea for them to listen to some of the gripes that the darwinia modders have expressed about the modding features in Darwinia. Access to unit stats, behaviours and mechanics would be nice.

N2
daset
level3
level3

Postby daset » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:41 pm

I believe I heard somewhere that IV was toying with the idea of making the units customizable in the pregame. Or I might be wrong. Who knows?
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:49 pm

what, like selecting speed, detection evasion and firepower points. Picking the most important ones.

Return to “General”