possibly too late, but...

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

sparkbolt
level0

possibly too late, but...

Postby sparkbolt » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:17 am

It took me ages to finally come to the forum, but i have a question;
As fans of Darwinia, and Introversion in general, should those of us with limewire/napster/etc download and keep the FAKE warez program for darwinia?
By doing so, we'd increase the odds of someone gettin gthe fake over the real one... any thoughts?
King Dumpalot
level1
level1

Postby King Dumpalot » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:32 pm

so, you're not only freely admitting that you've pirated the game, but you're suggesting that this might be a good thing because others would be able to download it off you?

People like you make me sick. I could understand if it was something like EA Street street 2005 where one sale probably wouldn't be missed, but Introversion are trying to kickstart independant development again, something in my opinion the industry sorely needs. They need our support, and that doesn't mean a post on the forum, that means your money.

Let's face it, Introversion have created a great game with a fraction of the resources of other developers. Delete your warez copy, go to www.darwinia.co.uk and purchase a legal copy. It's worth it for the manual alone, which explains a lot of the backstory.
trickfred
level5
level5

Re: possibly too late, but...

Postby trickfred » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:21 pm

sparkbolt wrote:...should those of us with limewire/napster/etc download and keep the FAKE warez program for darwinia?

I didn't get the impression he had pirated the game... just that he had shown an interest in assisting the propogation of the 'altered' version described here.

Most people believe in 'innocent until guilty', unlike some budding regimes as of late.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:04 pm

King Dumpalot wrote:so, you're not only freely admitting that you've pirated the game, but you're suggesting that this might be a good thing because others would be able to download it off you?

People like you make me sick. I could understand if it was something like EA Street street 2005 where one sale probably wouldn't be missed, but Introversion are trying to kickstart independant development again, something in my opinion the industry sorely needs. They need our support, and that doesn't mean a post on the forum, that means your money.

Let's face it, Introversion have created a great game with a fraction of the resources of other developers. Delete your warez copy, go to www.darwinia.co.uk and purchase a legal copy. It's worth it for the manual alone, which explains a lot of the backstory.

Dude! Relax. There is a fake version of Darwinia running around on the internets. He was tallking about seeding that version. Read the post a little more carefully, next time.

Now, I think you owe sparkbolt an apology.

In answer to sparkbolt's question: yeah, you may as well keep the fake version around. Other people should have fun downloading it.

xander
TinFoil
level2
level2

Postby TinFoil » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:13 pm

Actually, there's 2 around.

One's the "We know you downloaded this from the internet"

The other one my sis got caught with is the Mac demo converted into the Windows Demo.

Except a little smaller.
King Dumpalot
level1
level1

Postby King Dumpalot » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:16 pm

xander wrote:Dude! Relax. There is a fake version of Darwinia running around on the internets. He was tallking about seeding that version. Read the post a little more carefully, next time.

Now, I think you owe sparkbolt an apology.

In answer to sparkbolt's question: yeah, you may as well keep the fake version around. Other people should have fun downloading it.

xander

He said it was a fake warez version. What was I meant to think?

Anyway, you're right. if this fake version isn't a warez version of the game, then yes Sparkbolt, I'm very sorry. I'd delete what I wrote, so it's already been quoted, so there's not much point. I also apologise for the venom in my post, It's just that independant development is something I do feel very strongly about.
Josh mc
level3
level3
Location: :noitacoL . .///////|\\\\\\\ . . . . . . |..---...,...---..| . |........|........| . |...\__.__/...|

Postby Josh mc » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:44 pm

sparkbolt wrote:It took me ages to finally come to the forum, but i have a question;
As fans of Darwinia, and Introversion in general, should those of us with limewire/napster/etc download and keep the FAKE warez program for darwinia?
By doing so, we'd increase the odds of someone gettin gthe fake over the real one... any thoughts?

I don't see any copy's of Darwinia on my copy of Napster... methinks you are getting it confused with other things.
Harry
level0

Postby Harry » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:07 pm

sparkbolt wrote:It took me ages to finally come to the forum, but i have a question;

Yes and no.

Yes, as it will trick people.

No, because you can be arrested for claiming to distribute it (in the UK, at least).

i.e. If you sell blank cd's at a market, claiming that they are copies of the latest hits, you can get arrested for piracy. despite the fact you're only selling blank cds. I suspect there are similar laws regarding Internet distribution.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:34 pm

Harry uh, no, you couldn't get in trouble for copyright infringment in that case, at least as far as I know. But if you have a source for it, the post it and prove me wrong

You could get in trouble for various trade laws, false adveristing, misrepresenting products, etc.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:59 pm

Harry wrote:

Yes and no.

Yes, as it will trick people.

No, because you can be arrested for claiming to distribute it (in the UK, at least).

i.e. If you sell blank cd's at a market, claiming that they are copies of the latest hits, you can get arrested for piracy. despite the fact you're only selling blank cds. I suspect there are similar laws regarding Internet distribution.

As there is not money exchanging hands, and there is no damage to the downloading party, I doubt that you could get into any real trouble by distributing a fake version of Darwinia. Darwinia is copyrighted. If someone downloads a fake version, it is clear that they were attempting to pirate a legitimate version of the game. I doubt that they would have much standing to bring suit. Even if they do, what are their damages? The time spent illegally downloading Darwinia? As long as there is no hostile payload, I don't see why legal authorities would have any problem...

xander
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:04 pm

The only people you would have to worry about would be IV, but I believe they fully support hosting fake versions of Darwinia on P2P networks. :)
TinFoil
level2
level2

Postby TinFoil » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:16 pm

Also put in a program at the "We know you didn't buy this" text to report their IP to the FBI and MI-5. (right MI number to report to? :D )

And then the modern pirate will go ARRGH :P and change his IP...
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:55 pm

Since when does software piracy consititute a threat to national security?
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:34 pm

MI-5 is also tasked with defending the economic interests of the UK so that would fit. However as far as I know MI-5 isn't all that concerned about piracy. It's not a major risk to the economic security of the UK as a whole. Piracy prosecution is almost exclusively driven by the media industry. :)
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:53 pm

Piracy funds terrorism! *cue fat blacksmith*

Return to “General”