Control Tower/ Control station question.

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Ripfang
level1
level1

Control Tower/ Control station question.

Postby Ripfang » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:57 am

I'm making a map of my own for Multiwinia and I think I went a little crazy with the radar dishes heheheh.

I'm wondering if there are any major differences (code-wise in the map file) between the 'ControlTower' (Darwinia) and the 'ControlStation' (Multi) or can you just change the building name in the map file and switch them?

Also in an unrelated question... At the moment all the dishes, including the start position ones can all connect to each other. I find this hilarious since at any point another play could try and make a rush at your main base (but leave themselves vulnerable at the same time). My question is does that seem like it would be too frustrating or should I leave it?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:08 am

For the first question, the best I can do without NDA breaking is suggest that you try it an see what happens. It should work, but I haven't tried it myself. For the second question, I don't think that I can properly answer it without playing the map. While I can't speak for anyone else, I would imagine that would probably be the opinion of most people here. So, you could try posting the map.

xander
Ripfang
level1
level1

Postby Ripfang » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:21 am

Just wondering if anyone had already tried it. Any the map is not even close to done. I'll post it as soon as I finish it (x_X still have to figure out the spawn system).

Anyway Screenshot's from the unfinished map because I don't like doing repetitive things and uploading these pictures distracted me.

Epic Dish.

Layout
And little bit of the map layout as it is at the moment. I'm hoping to add a lot to this.

EDIT: I tried it out. Works fine. Testing the map now... Unforunately the computers all go right for eachothers main bases instead of branching out... May have to put blockers in after all....
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:46 pm

Is it possible to use control towers to control who owns a trunk port?
Ripfang
level1
level1

Postby Ripfang » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:31 am

I tried it since you asked and actually yes if there is a control station linked to the trunkport it will change teams when the station changes hands. I've been playing around with it a little and so far it hasn't crashed on me.

Side note: The same thing works with incubators from Darwinia which still work. If you start it with souls those souls will immedately be spawned into guys for the owning team. If you start it on team 5 the souls will stay there until someone else gets control.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:05 am

Actually now that you mention it, I would love to make a map where you relied completely on souls from magical forests. It would be difficult to balance though.
Ripfang
level1
level1

Postby Ripfang » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:21 am

I hadn't thought of that, Problem with that would be trees accidentally getting set on fire.

I've been having fun playing around with truckports though. The reinforcements counter will be added to a map even if the game type is something like domination if you have the line
"LevelOptions trunkportreinforcements 100" right above difficulty in the map file.

Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:28 am

Ripfang wrote:I hadn't thought of that, Problem with that would be trees accidentally getting set on fire.

Not really, trees included in the map respawn after burning. The problem would be to lose your engineers/harvesters if you rely entirely on tree souls.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:39 pm

Not really, trees included in the map respawn after burning. The problem would be to lose your engineers/harvesters if you rely entirely on tree souls.

Lucky thing is, harvesters will only blow up if they suck up a grenade. Nothing to worry about if both teams end up with rocketwinians.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:40 pm

Xocrates wrote:
Ripfang wrote:I hadn't thought of that, Problem with that would be trees accidentally getting set on fire.

You could just have a trunk port per team that spawns engineers/harvesters instead of armour, and have it not spawn (many) multiwinians.
Ripfang
level1
level1

Postby Ripfang » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:38 am

I've been trying to figure out how to do that.... I don't think Multiwinia is set up to do it. Armour has its own specific counter next to the reinforcement count. I don't think you can put different things in instead of Armour.

"LevelOptions trunkportreinforcements 100 trunkportarmour 3 " That's full line from one of the blitz maps.
Amadaus Tesla
level0

Postby Amadaus Tesla » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:39 am

Not that i understand coding or anything....

The existing, working map has:

"LevelOptions trunkportreinforcements 100 trunkportarmour 3"

So how about

"LevelOptions trunkportreinforcements 100 engineer 3 " ?

Now feel free to explain why it is a dumb idea.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:49 am

I'm highly positive that option might not exist... I'll have to test it on my map I'm working on.
Ripfang
level1
level1

Postby Ripfang » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Its not a dumb idea. In fact it is a perfectly logical idea.... unfortunately coding is not logical....... well it is.... but for computers not people.... /rambling

The code that uses the map script will not recognize "engineer" because its looking for something specific. "trunkportarmour" is a specific bit of code with a specific name. If the names don't match or it doesn't find the bit of code you put in (meaning engineer) it will either do nothing... or crash horribly because it doesn't know what to do.

As far as I know there is no code set up to make an engineer come out of a truckport.... but there is for armour.
Krion112
level2
level2

Postby Krion112 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:00 pm

I think if you set it to engineer it'll give you the engineer powerup....

Return to “Mods and Maps”