Dedwinia

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

DoubleFelix
level1
level1

Postby DoubleFelix » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:07 pm

Oh.
That doesn't make sense. Introversion is one word.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:22 pm

Neither is Firefox, but that doesn't stop them shortening it to Fx.

Anyway, could you edit that out? It doesn't really belong in this thread. It was most likely a sync error caused by Multiwinia (and without the logs of all the other players on the server, it isn't much use).
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:25 pm

DoubleFelix: Thanks! For the future, if you get more of these errors, it would be nice if you could say when you got it and the file name. It's best to upload the file to some free hosting service and not paste the full text into threads people may want to read, too :) I have this one copied, you can edit it away.

For this case, I found the game, and playing it back gave me a different sync log. So it's probably useful.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:33 pm

Oh, yeah, I forgot you could do that. You and your damn Dedwinia! *shakes fist*
DoubleFelix
level1
level1

Postby DoubleFelix » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:44 pm

RabidZombie wrote:Neither is Firefox, but that doesn't stop them shortening it to Fx.

Anyway, could you edit that out? It doesn't really belong in this thread. It was most likely a sync error caused by Multiwinia (and without the logs of all the other players on the server, it isn't much use).

I think "Fx" is a stupid abbreviation >_>
"FF" works though because it's "Fire Fox", kindof. At least that makes sense as words.

Here's an uploaded version of the sync error file:
http://www.zshare.net/download/500228250c6f69ee/
Nothing in particular happened at that moment that I know of.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:23 am

You can't really dismiss an abbreviation on the basis that it's 'taken' by something else; there are plenty of cases where abbreviations overlap but are easily distinugished in context. The capitalisation alone distinguishes it in this case. Otherwise IV would be a bad abbreviation because people would confuse it with intravenous, which is self-evidently daft. And there we go, DoubleFelix, intravenous is one word ;)

That said, bert, I'd probably change the message Dedwinia gives to refer to 'Introversion' for people who are ignorant to the developer's name or confused by abbreviations.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:59 am

Earlier today, someone entered the Dedwinia test where I was waiting for an opponent for Rocket Riot, told me that I should be playing Domination, and then left.
DoubleFelix
level1
level1

Postby DoubleFelix » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:59 am

Pinky wrote:Earlier today, someone entered the Dedwinia test where I was waiting for an opponent for Rocket Riot, told me that I should be playing Domination, and then left.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think dedwinia changes the gametype every now and then anyway so you can play something you like if nobody wants to play a certain style.
At least, that's what I've inferred from watching it.
KingAl wrote:You can't really dismiss an abbreviation on the basis that it's 'taken' by something else; there are plenty of cases where abbreviations overlap but are easily distinugished in context. The capitalisation alone distinguishes it in this case. Otherwise IV would be a bad abbreviation because people would confuse it with intravenous, which is self-evidently daft. And there we go, DoubleFelix, intravenous is one word ;)

That said, bert, I'd probably change the message Dedwinia gives to refer to 'Introversion' for people who are ignorant to the developer's name or confused by abbreviations.

Yeah, the point I was trying to make is that the first thing I think of when told "IV" is definitely not "introversion", even in this context. I figured it to be the name of a mod group or something. (Also, note that the method by which I got to this thread didn't clue me into the fact that it was even a sticky, so I figured it was just kinda buried somewhere, and then this "IV" group might have made their own forum about it :P).
Last edited by DoubleFelix on Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoubleFelix
level1
level1

Postby DoubleFelix » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:02 am

KingAl wrote:You can't really dismiss an abbreviation on the basis that it's 'taken' by something else; there are plenty of cases where abbreviations overlap but are easily distinugished in context. The capitalisation alone distinguishes it in this case. Otherwise IV would be a bad abbreviation because people would confuse it with intravenous, which is self-evidently daft. And there we go, DoubleFelix, intravenous is one word ;)

Yeah, the point I was trying to make is that the first thing I think of when told "IV" is definitely not "introversion", even in this context. I figured it to be the name of a mod group or something. (Also, note that the method by which I got to this thread didn't clue me into the fact that it was even a sticky, so I figured it was just kinda buried somewhere, and then this "IV" group might have made their own forum about it :P).
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:49 am

KingAl: done.

Pinky wrote:Earlier today, someone entered the Dedwinia test where I was waiting for an opponent for Rocket Riot, told me that I should be playing Domination, and then left.
That probably was Hawk, who thinks every game mode should be played like Domination. He never ever wins CTS or KOTH, but neither do the people next to him. Just ignore him, unless you get placed next to him :) I'll probably ban him from playing anything but Domination sooner or later.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:58 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:KingAl: done.

That probably was Hawk, who thinks every game mode should be played like Domination. He never ever wins CTS or KOTH, but neither do the people next to him. Just ignore him, unless you get placed next to him :) I'll probably ban him from playing anything but Domination sooner or later.
:)
Please

That being said, what with the crates and such, meeting Hawk's unorthodox approach to gameplay makes the whole multiwinia experience even more like playing the original worms. Which I, for one, count as a GoodThing(TM)
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
Luk0r
level1
level1

Postby Luk0r » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:34 pm

Do you have any idea when you'll release binaries for this? I'm unable to run a server on this connection so I'd really like to host one on my dedicated server.

I think it'll help bring more players to the game too.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:14 pm

That is mostly IV's decision (their code is in there), but my own criterion would mostly be "one week without serious bugs", which is not before 6 1/2 days from now :) There are especially important adaptions to the next patch to make, and while functional, the recording file format needs changing.
Zebreu
level0

Down?

Postby Zebreu » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:58 am

I wanted to play tonight (in Canada) but Dedwinia wasn't online. Are there downtimes? And would it be too much to handle to open a second Dedwinia when one is busy? It's almost the only way to connect to a multiplayer game with my restrictive campus network connection.
Well, I'm just asking.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:26 pm

Opps, yeah. I shut the servers down last night to do some experiments with the current beta (only one game can be advertised per authentication key, and I'm too lazy to manage my two keys), and I forgot to turn them on after I was done.

As for running more servers, there are already several running; as soon as a game is started and thus no longer needs to be on the list, an new server may spawn.

Return to “Mods and Maps”