Interesting uses of control stations...

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

The GoldFish
level5
level5

Interesting uses of control stations...

Postby The GoldFish » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:36 am

... and similar ideas for people to make use of when the editor turns up.

Control stations are handy little buildings, that I hadn't realised/bothered to test until today. They seem to be control towers in every way, except activated by DGs. This means that the units controlling them change the team of the building they're linked to. This can REALLY shake things up, if you know how the game works in this regard.

- Using control stations to change the team of capture points in CTS. So what if your enemy has all the statues, he doesn't have any capture points...

- Using control stations to take over trunk ports, which supply trunk port reinforcements (making control over certain areas of the map at certain times far more valuable than total control all of the time. You may also be able to make use of trunkportarmour - I'm not sure entirely at this stage how this works. Otherwise I'm not sure there's much of an advantage in having a trunk port, besides using it as a nifty assault tool.

- Using a control station in rocket riot to claim a rocket, rather than be designated one to begin with. Why wait to blow up your opponent's nearly fueled rocket, when you could steal it? (Actually I don't think this would really work, it depends how smart the buildings are that regulate energy flow...). What if there's only one rocket?

- I think you could even take control of a static ants nest with control stations... probably even spam, although I'm not sure it's netsafe and/or actually pays attention to team anyway...

- changing the team of a laserfence, too... (would be pretty swell to be able to have lots of links coming from a control station)

If you have any other ideas about what being able to change the team of buildings could be used for, post for it!
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:49 am

I like the change the team of the laser fence idea. But being able to take over capture points in CTS, if you're going to do that, why don't you just take over their spawn and deny them reinforcements?

I couldn't think of anything interesting. Had an idea about a control station that generated a random power-up (not a crate) every 60 seconds or so. Would be fun mayhem on the 4 player koth/dom servers. Not sure if I even like my own idea to be honest.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:41 am

Well, once that becomes possible with existing building functionality I'll let you know! It may, in fact, be possible, so long as the powerup you want happens to be an armour.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:23 am

CTS with stealable capture zones sounds like it could make for some interesting maps... would add another factor to balance. The control towers would have to be somewhere other than next to the respective spawns in order to make it useful, though.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:15 am

I've had a great idea.

Making map now. :P
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:30 am

Ooh, how mysterious!

Return to “Mods and Maps”