Biosphere Domination

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Xocrates
level5
level5

Biosphere Domination

Postby Xocrates » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:48 pm

I've been tinkering a bit, and managed to make a fully playable version of Darwinia's Biosphere map.

Now, the map is not without its issues, and quite frankly not a lot of fun, but feel free to try it. Keep in mind this is among the first times that I dabble in editing Darwinia/Multiwinia maps.

Notes:
The map takes forever to load, probably because I rather spammed AITargets in order to get the AI to anything, so be patient.
As you can imagine, I had to do some changes to improve map balance, as a result 1 of the original Spawn points was removed and Three others added (making six per island plus a tie-breaking one in the center island).
Radar dishes were also changed to only allow some connections, to prevent what might be called imbalances and exploits with the original free targetting radars. One of the original radars were also removed and some can't be manned.

Get it here:
Right click and select Save As to download
deeCee.
level1
level1

Postby deeCee. » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:08 am

Not too bad really. I grabbed the centre one strait away nd no 1 seemd to attack me. Those unmanable radars really do need to be able to be manned.
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:18 am

Yeah once you grab the center, and you're able to fend off your starting island it's very easy. That's playing against bots on hard. With humans I think it would be a bit more challenging and fun.

In my game yellow went for the center before I did but the soul destroyer took them over before they could grab it, while he was distracted i went for the turrets. I took over the turrets and easily annihilated it. Yellow didn't come back to try and take it.

I think it's too easy to defend your base as well. Each island has 6 spawn points on it and I think that's too much for one island. Maybe not, need to play against humans for a full decision.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6355/screenshot1ik0.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2483/screenshot2bj8.jpg

one thing that bugged me was you didn't start out with any reinforcements.

I would like to see more Darwinia maps converted, I liked this one..even if it couldn't hurt to improve it a bit.

Adding more time and crate drops made it funner. And yes I agree with deeCee, we really should be able to use those radars in the center.
deeCee.
level1
level1

Postby deeCee. » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:43 am

The first game I played I opend two crates with ant hills in them, now that was amusing. Not just the centre dishes but the ones on the empty back island too. Cus once u have ur MWs over there they cant go anywhere. Wasted.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:54 am

Yes, for some reason the AI ignores the center island, making the map too easy against the AI.

I'll look into the radar thing, but I'm unsure if I'm actually going to change it for some balancing issues. Howerer, there are links pointing out of the back island so you can't get stranded there.
deeCee.
level1
level1

Postby deeCee. » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:13 pm

They may be linked but u cant get ur MWs thru them bcus u dont control them.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:51 pm

I don't know exactly who this "u" guy is, or why we wants to get ancient summerians MWs "thru" them, and especially how this is related to "u"'s Basic Command Units not controlling them, but I guess the obvious question is:

Have you tried?

Because, you know, dey wrk fine fro mii.
deeCee.
level1
level1

Postby deeCee. » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:33 am

Wow. Comedian.

First time I played the map I could get over to the island but once I was there I couldnt get back through the radar dishes. Just tried it again and it worked this time.

Strange.

K thnx bai.
Greendingbat
level1
level1

Postby Greendingbat » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:38 am

Lol i are luv teh lolspk
i canz use it evri day
al mai frendz thnk it are noying
wht do u tnk?
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:29 am

wht do u tnk?

I think it's just as effective (and legible) as if you ran your fingers across the keys, hitting space every now and then, in random order and stop pretending to be coherent.

Like this: afhaf jhakfioptyiao nfadhacg afonvoh aleui?

Anyways, I gave the map a whirl and found it was kinda slow on the start up. I don't mean loading the level, I mean getting to the action. It might be because the islands I started on were sloped, which might have affected Darwinian travel across them. Otherwise territory didn't change hands quick enough. Mostly the AIs and I seized the islands we had and kept them. There were some attempts at invasion but nothing really came of them.

The center island isn't that spectacular either, other than to hold that one spawn point and claim a victory. If the satellite dishes were more controllable you could use them to branch off and hit other islands.
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:44 am

yeah that's what I was hoping, as it stands once you get to the center all there really is to do is defend it. It would be a great platform to use to take over the other islands.

But without that center it would just be a tie (as you said, it's a tie-breaker).

Put the game time to 20 minutes and you'll see someones island getting taken over. AI isn't too intelligent on this map so it took them about 15 minutes, but green was eliminated. Oh and I helped yellow too after I saw it was having trouble taking over green's island.
Aegis Tyra
level1
level1

Postby Aegis Tyra » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:09 pm

Temple Map plz. Kthxbai.

Return to “Mods and Maps”