If you want to try and make a map...

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:45 am

Use winrar to extract the main .dat file in the install directory. There you will find the official maps in .txt form. There you can look at how IV did their maps. I recommend you look at their assault maps for what you are looking for.
scottystreet
level1
level1

Postby scottystreet » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:55 am

ok then thanks
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:26 pm

scottystreet wrote:Ok. Thanks Jelco. Is there an unofficial mod site for Multiwinia yet? Can't actually find one. I'll make one if not.

Not for Multiwinia, but there is TheNextGame for Darwinia. Depending on the amount of interest and how fast the Map Editor is publicly available I might consider finishing the map list project zanzer7 started, which could be expanded with modding tutorials and stuff. I just don't want to start on that only to find that it's not used anymore after a month or so when it's finished - I'd like to make something worthwhile.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
scottystreet
level1
level1

Postby scottystreet » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:29 pm

ok - i'll see what i can do about a temporary unofficial site in the meantime.

Edit: There are enough mods to do this. An we need it.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:58 pm

scottystreet wrote:Edit: There are enough mods to do this. An we need it.

If only that were true. The truth is that before you revived this topic, the modding forum had been practically dead for months. There's enough people who want to do this but with the Multiwinia community being barely active these days there's not a lot of motivation to actually do it. The Steam sale brought a great influx of new players but in barely a week that died out, which goes to show how worthwhile the game currently seems to new players. A modding website might motivate people to work on projects, but then again it might very well not. If the Map Editor is released in the next couple of months there's definitely enough reason to create a modding website/archive, but without that there's just not enough interesting stuff around to keep new players interested and in turn provide a reason to work on mods in the first place.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
scottystreet
level1
level1

Postby scottystreet » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:05 pm

Yes. You are partly right, however, I have about 20 maps made by me on my laptop. Not all of them work properly. Infact most of them don't, but when I fix them (they are very small tweaks) I will have enough to at least start a mod site up. And as I am a student, I'll have enough time to make more!

Return to “Mods and Maps”