If you want to try and make a map...

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:15 pm

Trees can be set to any of the 3 types with a certain flag.
Set it in the map files.

Shwart!!
Adanufgail
level1
level1

Postby Adanufgail » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:02 am

I figured it out.

Code: Select all

Tree                97      2000.00 2000.00 255       1.00    0.00    0       400.20  5.94    0.76    0.95    7       99339   -12357961   -16776961   0       1       0     

Is an entry for a tree. The last 2 numbers decide if it is a magical forest and a dark tree (respectively).
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:53 am

What's the team ID's for futurewinians and evilwinians?
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:10 pm

5 and 4 respectively. If I'm not mistaken.
scottystreet
level1
level1

Postby scottystreet » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:03 pm

So how do you give it an in-game name? I really want to know. Just made a map, and will host it a bit soon.
Tom.K
level1
level1
Location: The Universe / Milky Way / Solar System / Earth / Europe / Croatia

Re: If you want to try and make a map...

Postby Tom.K » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:17 pm

From first post:
The GoldFish wrote:HOW TO NAME YOUR MAP FOR DISTRIBUTION:

There are a multitude of options in this regard and frankly, I am no the definitive source for this. Basic ideas are to include the gametype, number of players, mapname, author and version in the name of the file. Obviously there's so much information in there that it can tend to be confusing, so I SUGGEST that people use the following;

mp_[gametypeinitial][playercount]_[mapname][authorinitials]_[version].txt

resulting in (an example I used in another thread):

mp_k2_FacingWorldsNL_2.txt

or perhaps

mp_b3_battletideTGF_1.txt

or

mp_d4_battletide2TGF_1.txt (a sequal map to battletide, version 1!)

Once we have proper meta data fields for maps, like author and map name etc, this should look a lot better ingame, but this seems to be a good scheme to use to stop map collisions, as well as preserve data should your map be upgraded (some people may not like your updates) or someone else create a map by the same name. It should also alphabetically sort your map folder by gametype and then number of players.

Please post in this thread (or some other thread if someone makes one) any nuances you come across! It will hopefully help out other budding authors.

However, I've found ability to name your maps.
You'll have to make a copy of your language and place it in Multiwinia/data/languages. Note: It's possible to get double language choice. If it didn't worked with first one, try with second one.
Not sure if possible, but in languages data i've found a few strings for level descriptions:

mp_koth_2P_1_name                   The Eternal Guardians
mp_koth_2P_1_description            Effigies of their creator maintain a solemn vigil over this war-torn plain

For example for one map (mp_k2_FacingWorldsNL_2)
You'll have to enter following:

mp_k2_FacingWorldsNL_2_name   Facing Worlds by NL
mp_k2_FacingWorldsNL_2_description      Testing example description text, it should work...

Save language file, but don't delete any other string, load the game, select language, apply and that should be it. Your map should get a name.

Here's a picture to see it works: Image
Note: You see that the map is available. That's because it contained data from "The Eternal Guardians" map, so it's let's say a duplicate of map with different name.
scottystreet
level1
level1

Postby scottystreet » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:05 pm

Ok. Thanks, but I don't understand. Sorry to be so awkward!

Edit: Think i've got it now.

Edit: It doesn't work.
Last edited by scottystreet on Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scottystreet
level1
level1

Postby scottystreet » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:56 pm

Xocrates wrote:5 and 4 respectively. If I'm not mistaken.

You are mistaken. It dosen't work. Sorry mate. You really were thinking outside the box.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:32 pm

Evilwinians have team ID 8, Futurewinians are team ID 9. In fact, while we're at it, here's the full array of them:

0 - Green
1 - Red
2 - Yellow
3 - Blue
4 - Orange
5 - Purple
6 - Cyan
7 - Pink
8 - Evil
9 - Future

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:37 pm

Hmm, if you were to put some eg pink ones in but not have the player being pink, how would they look/behave?
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:59 pm

Well those are different IDs. You have the IDs which identify the playable teams (player ID), and the IDs which identify the colour (team ID). The IDs you set in the Map Editor for buildings etc. are the former, while the list I gave is about the latter. I'm not exactly sure which ID he's modifying in the file, but I'm guessing that if 4 and 5 didn't work, it's probably 8 and 9 he wants. As far as the former IDs go, they should be 4 and 5 indeed.

So, to clarify, here's a table. Player ID refers to the playable team, team ID refers to the colour.

| Player ID | Team ID
-------------------------------
Playable | 0,1,2,3   | 0-7
Evil     | 4         | 8
Future   | 5         | 9

So to answer your question elexis, it's not actually possible to force a team to a colour on a map. Evilwinians and Futurewinians are special cases, as they are fixed to certain sides, whereas the playable IDs can be assigned any of the playable colours (i.e. team IDs). You define the player IDs in the map, not team IDs. I'm not sure however how you force the special teams in a map txt (i.e. through the manual hack method) because I haven't ever tried to force Evilwinians or Futurewinians (and even if I had I probably had done that with the beta Map Editor in Multiwinia, not the Darwinia-map-hack method). I'm expecting that you still define player IDs and hence it should be 4 or 5 you should use, but for the sake of completion the team IDs are worth mentioning.

Jelco
Last edited by jelco on Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

- Douglas Adams
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:00 am

scottystreet wrote:
Xocrates wrote:5 and 4 respectively. If I'm not mistaken.

You are mistaken. It dosen't work. Sorry mate. You really were thinking outside the box.

You will notice that post was made in 2008. The information was correct at that time at least. Indeed this map .txt tells me that evilwinians were indeed 4.

EDIT: Also, what jelco said.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:06 am

Thanks Jalco, I got confused with the id's.

I really need to reinstall the beta.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:10 am

Well it's a good thing you asked about that because otherwise I would have forgotten to add that explanation about the different IDs. If I come into contact with those numbers it's usually because of the Ladder, and I use team IDs far more than player IDs in that context (although due to confusion early on in the design process, their names are actually switched around internally in the database :P). For maps, player IDs are the only ones you'll ever need unless you're doing some serious hacks I think, so it might actually be easier to ignore my post with the team ID list altogether.

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
scottystreet
level1
level1

Postby scottystreet » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:10 am

Ok. Thanks Jelco. Is there an unofficial mod site for Multiwinia yet? Can't actually find one. I'll make one if not.

Edit: My map is fixed! These team id's are so confusing! Thanks again.

Edit of an Edit: It's not fixed. Cant get the gun turrets pre-manned with evilwinians. Anybody gon an answer?

Return to “Mods and Maps”