Is anybody playing?

Get community help for technical problems

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

ironlizard
level0

Is anybody playing?

Postby ironlizard » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:16 pm

I registered here just to ask this question, since i installed multiwinia a few days ago i have only been able to find a couple online games. The ones i did find were fun, even though i was soundly thrashed, but came up so rarely there was little point spending hours waiting around looking at a list of empty games or an empty lobby waiting for people to join. Seeing as the game is pure multiplayer with no single player campaign, not being able to find a game in the first place makes it worthless.

Is the problem on my end? Is this a firewall or router issue (i'm using the infamous bt homehub)? Here's my exact problem: I can host or join games as i please but the join game list is always full of empty servers, and i have been hosting a game for up to half an hour with still nobody joining. I know there are players out there, after all i have played 2 or 3 games, but mainly its just there are so few. Checking all the filter options lets me occasionally see one or two full games. Is it always this empty?
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:23 pm

Many of those empty servers are dedicated servers run by philanthropic MW players.

It's no good if everyone hangs around the server list thinking 'oh... all the servers are empty' 'cos all you need are two people doing that, and there's a game there, ready - but it's not gonna happen if you hang around waiting.

I usually find that if the servers are empty, then if I join a dedicated server running a game mode I want to play, then people usually pop in after a few minutes. It is possible to play MW when it's totally dead, but that's not very often - it's just that people seem to wait for each other to fill up the dedicated servers.

Best times, as with all MP games, tend to be after 6pm GMT, and again for the evening on US time...
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:12 pm

http://multiwinia-ladder.net/graph.php?t=1

According to this graph, most people seem to be online around 10 PM GMT (if I am getting the timezones correct). That is going to be the middle of the day for most people in the United States. If you are looking to play during that time, you can generally join one of the dedicated servers, and have an opponent in a minute or two. Sometimes it takes a little longer, but if you are patient, and wait for someone to show up, they probably will.

xander
Killjoy
level1
level1

Postby Killjoy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:41 pm

My tip is to find a server running a map you want, and sit and wait, you shouldnt be waiting long before someone appears.

If things REALLY are that BAD for you that there is no-one, joint Multiwinia-Ladder.net as it allowes you to challange other players, and also on the homepage, in the top left area it says "Recently played Multiwinia" which will let you know if lots of players are about.
scottystreet
level1
level1

Postby scottystreet » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:50 am

I have a really cool widget for firefox, which is ok if you use it, but not so useful if you don't. You should get it if you use firefox mostly. It's basically a server list for Multiwinia, and it shows you when there are matches waiting for people. Very distracting if your meant to be doing something, but great the rest of the time.

http://philosophyfactory.com/morgan/multiwinia_server_list/
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:20 am

This is old news, is advertised both on this forums and on the multiwinia ladder, and was created by a member of this forum.

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”