Video driver crash

Get community help for technical problems

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Lelouch
level1
level1

Video driver crash

Postby Lelouch » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:15 pm

Hi, recently ive encountered my very first bug with this game: every time i play with 3-4 players and there are alot of forces on the map multiwinia freezes with windows stating that nvidia driver stopped working and was successfully restored. Bug isn't producing in blackbox.txt, debug.txt, crash.dmp or errorlog.txt so theres nothing to post.

I have nvidia 9800gtx with 180.43 beta driver which i recently installed, tho i am not sure if those crashes started after this, so it would be reassuring to know if anyone else uses those drivers and gets same crashes. Also i never noticed before that when multiwinia starts in fullscreen mode it disables vistas aero theme, is this how it supposed to be?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:28 pm

Just to cover all your bases, you should report the problem to NVidia as well. My first instinct would be to trust the Windows error message and assume the driver is faulty; after all, it is a beta version.
Lelouch
level1
level1

Postby Lelouch » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:38 pm

Reporting something to nvidia is as pointless as asking chipmunk to help me. I just played holy tree without crashes in window mode, might be luck but could it be that when multiwinia disables aero it somehow conflicts with video driver? Is there a way to prevent multiwinia from switching off vistas aero graphics?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:50 pm

I don't think MW itself is switching of Aero, it's more likely done by either Vista itself or the graphics driver. I remember from the early Vista discussions that indeed, Aero gets disabled when OpenGL is active; however, there was much misinformation about back then.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:22 pm

Lelouch wrote:I just played holy tree without crashes in window mode, might be luck but could it be that when multiwinia disables aero it somehow conflicts with video driver? Is there a way to prevent multiwinia from switching off vistas aero graphics?

Sounds like a driver issue. I run MW in windowed mode on vista without issue. It doesn't disable Aero either. I'd suggest to revert to a non-beta driver.

NeoThermic
Lelouch
level1
level1

Postby Lelouch » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:14 pm

Indeed i am playing in windowed mode now and everything is fine. Guess its only an issue in fullscreen mode and its drivers fault.

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”