Get community help for technical problems

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:09 pm

TomCat39 wrote:
S2334 wrote:This happens to me as well.
I disabled my network adapter and it worked.
However you cannot host games.

For this particular case it was the full version AVG 8.0 personal security suite not being compatible with Multiwinia. Once it was turned off and just used the Vista firewall, all worked well. Hosting and SP.

Not compatible? Surely you just mean you didn't set it up correctly. It isn't difficult to allow the Multiwinia through the AVG firewall. :roll:
TomCat39
level3
level3

Postby TomCat39 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:34 pm

RabidZombie wrote:
TomCat39 wrote:

For this particular case it was the full version AVG 8.0 personal security suite not being compatible with Multiwinia. Once it was turned off and just used the Vista firewall, all worked well. Hosting and SP.

Not compatible? Surely you just mean you didn't set it up correctly. It isn't difficult to allow the Multiwinia through the AVG firewall. :roll:

Quite contrary. The AVG firewall would not pass Multiwinia even when added manually. It autodetected every other game he owns but would not detect Multiwinia, and then when Multiwinia.exe was added to the exceptions, no change.

The only fix was disabling AVG premium firewall and just sticking to Vista's firewall.

But if you had read the thread and not just the one post, you would have known all these details.
For whatever reason, AVG premium 8.0 does not like Multiwinia on Vista Home Premium.
"Now, stop being a douche to the newbie, and run along."

xander
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:39 pm

TomCat39 wrote:
RabidZombie wrote:
TomCat39 wrote:

Quite contrary. The AVG firewall would not pass Multiwinia even when added manually. It autodetected every other game he owns but would not detect Multiwinia, and then when Multiwinia.exe was added to the exceptions, no change.

The only fix was disabling AVG premium firewall and just sticking to Vista's firewall.

But if you had read the thread and not just the one post, you would have known all these details.
For whatever reason, AVG premium 8.0 does not like Multiwinia on Vista Home Premium.

I have read the whole thread. I'm still inclined to think AVG 8.0 is not the problem here. Especially since other users who have AVG 8 have not had difficulties. One in this very thread! "I have used AVG 8.0 with Multiwinia working just fine on XP."

Although, yeah, AVG is shit. Get a replacement.
TomCat39
level3
level3

Postby TomCat39 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:08 pm

AVG Free or the full suite? I don't know of to many people who actually bought the security suite.

And beyond adding the exe file manually, what more can you do?

xander
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:37 pm

TomCat39 wrote:AVG Free or the full suite? I don't know of to many people who actually bought the security suite.

I had a friend, (no one on this forum), with the demo and the non-free AVG. I had him add the game to his exception list and it worked fine. Although, I've only just remembered I'm unsure as to whether this is AVG 7 or 8. It's quite possible I was wrong.

I actually can't think how one would fail to set it up correctly, funnily enough. :P
TomCat39
level3
level3

Postby TomCat39 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:47 pm

RabidZombie wrote:
TomCat39 wrote:AVG Free or the full suite? I don't know of to many people who actually bought the security suite.

I had a friend, (no one on this forum), with the demo and the non-free AVG. I had him add the game to his exception list and it worked fine. Although, I've only just remembered I'm unsure as to whether this is AVG 7 or 8. It's quite possible I was wrong.

I actually can't think how one would fail to set it up correctly, funnily enough. :P

Yeah, I remember AVG 7.0. Worked fine, not very intrusive and didn't seem to have any issues. 8.0 is a lot more intrusive and the premium suite seems to not recognize Multiwinia traffic even when it's added manually. On the vista version at least. Maybe the XP version works. *shrug*

xander

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”