Second monitor blank?

Get community help for technical problems

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

iviv
level1
level1

Second monitor blank?

Postby iviv » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:26 pm

I'm now running a dual monitor setup, and with most games they just fill the main monitor, leaving whatever was running on the second monitor alone, which is how I want it. But I've noticed that Multiwinia, defcon and uplink just blank out the second screen. The monitor is still recieving a signal, its just black. Also, in multiwinia I can move my mouse onto the second screen, instead of it being locked into the first, though clicking on the second screen minimises Multiwinia.

The strange thing is, it doesn't happen in Darwinia, nor in games by other developers, just these three Introversion games. Is there any known fix/work around?

Versions:
Uplink and Darwinia via steam, Defcon normal version, and multiwinia beta (All at the latest versions)

Specs:
E6600@3.4Ghz
ati 4850 1Gb
4Gb ram
Vista x64 SP1
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:45 pm

hmmm,

Strange, Uplink use SDL library for display setup.

Darwinia, Multiwinia and Defcon pretty much use the same in-house display setup engine.
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
iviv
level1
level1

Postby iviv » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:00 pm

Just tried to record a vid of it with my webcam, showing how the four programs work with the secomd monitor, but for some reason it only recorded the last two I did. But basically:
Uplink just blanks the second monitor, but I can't move my mouse over to it.
Darwinia works perfectly. Second monitor is still active showing whatever used to be up there, and I can't move my mouse to interact with it.
Defcon and Multiwinia: Second monitor is blanked, but if I can move my mouse out of the game window to the second monitor which stays blank, but if I click then the desktop and whatever was there appears, the task bar on the bottom of the first monitor appears, but instead of minimizing like most games do when you move them out of fullscreen, the game still stays there, taking up all of the first monitor. And if you click back onto it, the second monitor blanks again, the taskbar dissapears, and you can play as normal.

Specs (in case relevant)

Core 2 E6600 @ 3.2Ghz
4Gb Ram
Vista x64
ATI 4850 1Gb (Running latest Cat 8.10 drivers. Can't rollback to try older ones, as they had crashing problems)

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”