screen jerks around when a game starts, cannot control game.

Get community help for technical problems

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Marty10000
level0

screen jerks around when a game starts, cannot control game.

Postby Marty10000 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:19 am

Problem: all menu's work fine, however, once a game gets to the point where it says "hit space to start" the screen pans/jumps toward the mouse and back again very quickly (3 times a second-ish), i cannot do anything while it is like this as everything is jumping around.

Stuff i have tried: graphics driver updated, sound driver updated, graphics settings changed from low to med to high, resolutions, colour depth and windowed mode changed, Direct X updated.

System info:
Windows XP Personal Service Pack 2
Radeon X1650 Series
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
2 Gig of Ram

This appears to be a widespread problem...
Help would be appreciated.
If additional info is needed (DX-diag etc...) post and ask for it.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:27 pm

Try turning your graphic settings and audio settings down.
Marty10000
level0

Postby Marty10000 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:48 am

From Previous Post --- Stuff i have tried: graphics driver updated, sound driver updated, graphics settings changed from low to med to high, resolutions, colour depth and windowed mode changed, Direct X updated.

i have now tried toggling the sound settings, after setting all to lowest, all i get is a black screen with "press space to start" and just the timer at the top after that, no display at all, however i am getting sound, nice and clear.

thanks for trying Rabid Zombie.
Marty10000
level0

Postby Marty10000 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:14 am

redownloaded and reinstalled, no changes, hope someone can help soon, i would really like to play this game.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:17 pm

Marty10000 wrote:From Previous Post --- Stuff i have tried: graphics driver updated, sound driver updated, graphics settings changed from low to med to high, resolutions, colour depth and windowed mode changed, Direct X updated.

i have now tried toggling the sound settings, after setting all to lowest, all i get is a black screen with "press space to start" and just the timer at the top after that, no display at all, however i am getting sound, nice and clear.

thanks for trying Rabid Zombie.

Sorry. I feel stupid now. D:

While I research more, could you:

Try running the game with the CPU affinity set so Multiwinia uses only one core (Task Manager>Right Click Process>Something...).
Press Windows Key + R, type dxdiag, hit the return key. Click save all information, and once it finishes, post the resulting file here.
Try running the Darwinia demo?
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:14 pm

You may also post your debug.txt file (with you authkey removed) located in Multiwinia Profile folder (Use 'Open Multiwinia Profile' Windows start menu shortcut)
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
Marty10000
level0

Postby Marty10000 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:10 pm

single core affinity worked, wonder why the game needs that set?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:40 pm

My guess is that it's because on AMD processors, the Windows High Performance Timers are broken: they are tied to each core's frequency, and that changes when one of the cores goes into a more powersaving mode. So timer measurements using them give inconsistent values when a process switches from core to core.

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”