Screen Shaking itself to oblivion

Get community help for technical problems

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Robo Pope
level0

Screen Shaking itself to oblivion

Postby Robo Pope » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:44 pm

Whenever i play Multiwinia on my computer (no not a laptop) in multiplayer mode,about three minutes in the screen starts shaking enormously until it shakes off the map until i only see black and constantly shifting crate and powerup location markers.

anyone know how to fix this?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:52 pm

Can you post your computer's specs? The shaking you describe sounds like the one caused by low FPS.
the4ce
level1
level1

Postby the4ce » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:05 pm

I have this problem to if the map contains to many multiwinians/ants...I think its from my computer.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:07 am

Does it happen with the latest patch?
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:55 pm

Update your video drivers and turn down graphical settings/resolution?
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
cde
level2
level2

Postby cde » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:49 am

I have also had this on a decent spec system, with all settings at minimum. I think it is a little short-sighted to blame hardware or settings when there is a fairly widely reported issue with the camera movement that can result in this jerking motion.

Good luck finding a solution, it would surely need to be resolved before the XBLA launch :(
DoubleFelix
level1
level1

Postby DoubleFelix » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:51 pm

The camera system needs fixing...
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:28 pm

Actually, the problem described here is from low FPS.

cde, if you're having camera problems which aren't related to low FPS, can you start a new thread?
DoubleFelix
level1
level1

Postby DoubleFelix » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:08 am

RabidZombie wrote:Actually, the problem described here is from low FPS.

cde, if you're having camera problems which aren't related to low FPS, can you start a new thread?

Every camera issue I've seen has been caused by low FPS, but low FPS is no excuse for the camera to bounce around in a way that would NEVER happen otherwise.
cde
level2
level2

Postby cde » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:42 am

To be clear, the machine is decent but when I moved the camera through a tree with lots of action going on, the fps dropped and the problem kicked in. It has also happened during meteor showers - fps drops, camera goes crazy.

I am not sure if other people find this problem fixes itself, but I have found that once it begins it is very hard to move the camera to a "safe" place and calm it down.

My point is that low settings or good specs don't guarantee high fps, so there may be a remaining risk that the XBLA version could get the same bungie-cord-camera if the player looks at the wrong thing.
Qjet
level1
level1

Postby Qjet » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:09 am

I think this says something about how the game performs under load. Isn't this a sign that improvements need to be made somewhere?
cde
level2
level2

Postby cde » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:04 pm

I suspect there is something simple - but hard to pin down - amiss with the "easing" code that brings a moving camera to a gentle stop. However, every time someone reports something that occurs at low FPS I am more concerned that the response is "drop your settings" rather than "we need to make sure low FPS causes fewer problems".

I have not checked lately to see if this jerking occurs when using the Xbox 360 controller on Windows, though on a more positive note, if you have one lying around, it does have some rather nice analogue control over camera speed...
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:12 pm

cde wrote:but hard to pin down
Probably not. Problems of this kind usually have one reason: Explicit Euler. The basic Explicit Euler camera direction update code would be something like this:

Code: Select all

// variables:
// dt: timestep (basically 1/FPS)
// camDir: current camera direction (a vector)
// camTargetDir: the direction the user wants the camera to point at, we want to "ease" towards it. Also a vector.
// camSpeed: a float; gives the speed of the camera easing
camDir += ( camTargetDir - camDir ) * camSpeed * dt;
// then, normalize and sanity check camDir
This code is called every frame. What it is trying to do is to numerically solve the differential equation (d/dt)(camDir) = ( camTargetDir - camDir ) * camSpeed, which, if solved exactly, would let camDir smoothly converge towards camTargetDir.
The problem: if camSpeed * dt is bigger than 1, the easing will overshoot the target a bit, and instead of smoothly moving towards it, it will jiggle around. As long as camSpeed * dt < 2, it will still sort of work and converge to camTargetDir eventually. If that's no longer the case, the difference between camTargetDir and camDir will get bigger every frame, causing the observed massive uncontrollable shaking.

The solution: be smarter :) For example, you can use Implicit Euler. For simple differential equations like this, changing the update code to

Code: Select all

float epsilon = camSpeed * dt;
camDir += ( camTargetDir - camDir ) *epsilon/( 1 + epsilon );
does the trick. For small epsilon, the extra 1/(1+epsilon) factor doesn't do much, but for large epsilon, which were problematic before, the total factor epsilon/(1+epsilon) stays below 1 and never makes camDir overshoot.
cde
level2
level2

Postby cde » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:16 pm

Excellent breakdown of possible cause/solution there - if that's all it is, let's hope 1.1.1 has smoooooth cameras!
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:20 pm

Nice one :)

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”