Dual-monitor

Get community help for technical problems

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Jonty
level0

Dual-monitor

Postby Jonty » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:28 am

Unfortunately while I can quite easily drag the Multiwinia window across two monitors, the game itself won't fill up the 2. :( Is this an intentional fixing of the aspect ratio to prevent some kind of advantage, or just an unanticipated bug? I would have thought you'd be able to have different aspect ratios for widescreens, etc.

And before you ask, it does work if I drag it inbetween the two screens- unline most games which go horribly slow. I belive it's because Multiwinia uses OpenGL!

ImageImage
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:41 am

wouldn't you have the screen split right down the middle of the view? or don't you have that?

I did a few experiments, and I couldn't persuade multiwinia to render in 640x480 and 1280x480, to test a theory I had (that you might actually end up with LESS viewing area by doing this. It doesn't want to render in anything wider than 16:9, at a guess. This could be enforced to prevent the situation where it starts reducing the vertical aspect ratio to fit in with an enforced maximum horizontal one - this is only an issue because it's rendered from a camera in a 3D world, rather than from fixed perspective (where massive window sizes are an advantage)

Either way, I wouldn't have thought the additional aspect ratio would be something that'll really help with multiwinia. Plus, I'm not sure, but I've had to enable openGL rendering for both screens in my nVidia control panel somehow sometime long ago in the past, but that might be age old, plus something youve probably already gone through your graphics settings.
Jonty
level0

Postby Jonty » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:30 pm

Well a couple of other games work fine in dualscreen, such as Homeworld 2 (although the interface is stretched across the middle), and of course games like Supreme Commander have a native dual screen mode. However if the aspect ratio is locked then I guess there isn't much I can do. And yes, it would have a black bar down the middle - but there isn't anything particularly vital in the middle of the screen, so I think I'd be able to cope with it.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:40 pm

This is because resizing the window doesn't change the resolution of the game. It simply adds "black".

AFAIK, resolutions that aren't supported by your graphics card aren't possible to use, so unless your graphics card will support the resolution you seek, you're out of luck.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:06 pm

Multiwinia, like Darwinia, controls like a floating eyeball - your cursor is always in the middle of the screen.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Jonty
level0

Postby Jonty » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:26 pm

Well, the actual cursor isn't displayed, I think I'd be able to get used to that. The screens I use are right next to each other! Unfortunately while I know my graphics card should support 2560x1024 when I put that into preferences.txt and open the game it always overwrites it with 1280x1024 again. :(

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”