Multiwinia for iPhone

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Pyr0qvy
level1
level1

Multiwinia for iPhone

Postby Pyr0qvy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:48 pm

that would be theGreatest app ever. The controlls would fit in pretty good (not perfect) but pretty friggin good.
I don't think I would play much of anything else on my iPhone if iWinia went up.

IV, please make the greatest iPhone game ever.

Sincerilly(I know it's spelled wrong but I don't care), Pyr0
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:33 am

I seriously doubt that is going to happen. Multiwinia is too resource consuming for the iPhone to be able to run it (even for the xbox several compromises were required), and I doubt IV would be interested in investing the time and money in creating a new winia game from nearly scratch.
Pyr0qvy
level1
level1

Postby Pyr0qvy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:58 am

Xocrates wrote:I seriously doubt that is going to happen. Multiwinia is too resource consuming for the iPhone to be able to run it (even for the xbox several compromises were required), and I doubt IV would be interested in investing the time and money in creating a new winia game from nearly scratch.

i can dream
scottystreet
level1
level1

Postby scottystreet » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:57 pm

I am already working on tools for the iphone. A server list is one of them. I'm not getting very far, though - I need to scramble through a few more .dat files first. I'll post when it's done.
scottystreet
level1
level1

Postby scottystreet » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:05 pm

jelco wrote:I'm not sure what you're trying to do with dat files...

It's just an expression! Their not actually called dat files on an iphone, but oh well... thanks anyway.
Pyr0qvy
level1
level1

Postby Pyr0qvy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:18 am

new iPad would be awesome for this
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:52 am

And from what I can tell, would run the Mac version just fine anyway.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:50 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:And from what I can tell, would run the Mac version just fine anyway.

I'm not sure that it would. The underlying architecture of the iPad seems to be more similar to the iPhone than to a Apple desktop or laptop. I imagine that it would not have the graphical horsepower (assuming it had the processing horsepower) to run Multiwinia, and that it would require a new port to even get running. Not to mention the problems controlling the game that Jelco mentions.

xander
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:44 pm

I sure wish people would concentrate on suggesting ports to hardware *I* actually own or plan of getting. Selfish bastards, the lot of them.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:54 pm

xander wrote:
Mas Tnega wrote:And from what I can tell, would run the Mac version just fine anyway.

I'm not sure that it would. The underlying architecture of the iPad seems to be more similar to the iPhone than to a Apple desktop or laptop. I imagine that it would not have the graphical horsepower (assuming it had the processing horsepower) to run Multiwinia, and that it would require a new port to even get running. Not to mention the problems controlling the game that Jelco mentions.

xander
Curses, I can't even casually dismiss ideas with you two on watch. My reasoning was:
iPad supposedly runs OSX 10.6
Let them eat shit.
scottystreet
level1
level1

Postby scottystreet » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:12 pm

The pad doesnt run OSX at all. It runs iPhone OS. Thats why it will be a complete waste of time. It's just a giant iPhone. Waste of money. I know this because I've already got the SDK, and with it they send a list of all the software specs. Still - IV should see about this! I know for a fact it won't happen, but it's worth a try.
Pyr0qvy
level1
level1

Postby Pyr0qvy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:04 pm

jelco wrote:Without significant control adjustments, no it would not. The standard relative-to-middle method of moving the camera in games like Multiwinia is horrible with absolute control systems like touchscreens and tablets. You'd also want separate controls for the camera and the mouse pointer, some alternative method for right-click, etc.

The only games I can play on my touchscreen are Plants vs Zombies and the like.

Jelco

Both Iphone and the new and underwhelming ipad can sense one, two, and three finger taps and movements, right click and middle mouse buttons solved
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:44 am

Pyr0qvy wrote:
jelco wrote:Without significant control adjustments, no it would not. The standard relative-to-middle method of moving the camera in games like Multiwinia is horrible with absolute control systems like touchscreens and tablets. You'd also want separate controls for the camera and the mouse pointer, some alternative method for right-click, etc.

Jelco

Both Iphone and the new and underwhelming ipad can sense one, two, and three finger taps and movements, right click and middle mouse buttons solved

The problem with two-finger-tapping-for-double-clicking in a game like Darwinia is that a double click is meant to be coordinated with a cursor position. So not only do you have to use two fingers, but you have to use them in the correct location. The two-finger-tap is not a good replacement for double clicking in a game. Moreover, that does not address the more substantive complaint, i.e. that the camera's position is adjusted to center on the cursor, which does not work well with an absolute position on the tablet.

xander
Pyr0qvy
level1
level1

Postby Pyr0qvy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:38 pm

xander wrote:
Pyr0qvy wrote:

Jelco

The problem with two-finger-tapping-for-double-clicking in a game like Darwinia is that a double click is meant to be coordinated with a cursor position. So not only do you have to use two fingers, but you have to use them in the correct location. The two-finger-tap is not a good replacement for double clicking in a game. Moreover, that does not address the more substantive complaint, i.e. that the camera's position is adjusted to center on the cursor, which does not work well with an absolute position on the tablet.

xander

double click = double tap
right click = two finger tap
move camera = drag finger
zoom = pinch in/out

and let's not forget about the motion controlls

iPhone/ipad, for the most part, can do anything you can do with a mouse, although moving the camera position might be a bit difficult with the tilt controlls
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:59 am

A cool feature would be the screen slowly scrolling up, and your scrambling your darwinians all over the screen, capturing crates, bases, and whatnot. You need to plan ahead, so you make an officer at every spawn point, directing your new troops to wherever, then making a new officer there and so on and so forth. When an enemy appears, you quickly make a formation, and hope not to lose any troops as the screen slowly progresses forward...

Return to “The Future”