Plea to bring formations back into the gameplay

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Jordy...
level5
level5

Plea to bring formations back into the gameplay

Postby Jordy... » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:35 pm

I like formations alot, that is, as an idea. Because despite some people saying they have there uses I don't believe them.
Sure you can use them as a lawnmower against noob, or as guardians for turrets, but any of those things can be bypassed with better micro, and in such a way that the better micro is a relative easy task.

Therefore I say, formations have to be empowered and I hope this will be done in the next big patch!
Some people have thoughed of other formations, but I have to agree that these "new" formations should clearly be for a new purpose, as to only be a new form.
So I suggest we start thinking of way to make this one, known formation better, to ensure a better gameplay experience.

3 main advantages as of know are:

- longer fire range
- shoot more effectively, i.e. don't run away
- can laucnh grenades controllable within a 4 sec. frame.

3 main disadvantages:

- vunarable to grenades, main reason why they are inefficient
- move slowly, and are less mobile
- only shoot upfront

So I think the advantages are pretty good, and server a clear purpose, i.e. more firepower, but most of the battles don't have big battlefields in wich this really plays a part.
So I say, to make it worth the micro-management for small battles, let them have an even longer range and let them fire even faster, also make it quicker to deploy them as to make it better micro-managable.

The disadvantages are clear, and the biggest problem I think there is is there vunarability to grenades, wich will wipe half a formation away if lucky. Also that they only shoot in front of them, or more like 180 degrees, doesn't make them help against mobile micro-managed units.
So, perhaps make them far less vunarable against grenades, even less vunarable then they are against acp's. Make them shoot in 360 degress, tho |I agree this wouldn't be astheatiacally pleasing, and maybe making the shoot further and faster will help against enemies trying to surround them better.
Maybe make them a little bit faster, and defenitely make it faster to employ them.

RESULT:

Formations' should be used much much more, making them good in small battles when micromanaged, and having them as firepower support in bigger stationary battles!

I say this definetely would help make MW even a better game, because there is more gameplay for the same amount of superficial simplicity.
The Daemons
level2
level2

Postby The Daemons » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:01 am

Ya, one of the other disadvantages (comes from slow movement) is a slow turning speed. The way I deal with this, which obviously requires micromanagement is to temporarily disband the formation, then re-initiate it in the new desired direction. (usually used if I need to turn it quickly to defend a rear-end attack)
Krion112
level2
level2

Postby Krion112 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:44 am

Actually Formations already do fire faster, but adding longer range might be nice, considering MW's in formation will fire at MW's in another formation while being slightly out of reach.
The Daemons
level2
level2

Postby The Daemons » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:19 am

I think its funny how, formation or not, MW's will shoot at just about anything, from nukes/subs to meteors to the Futurewinians' ship and all kinds of ridiculous stuff.
tiro
level1
level1

Postby tiro » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:53 am

+1 good idea, let's get more useful formations in the next version

Return to “The Future”