List of current bugs

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Major Cooke
level4
level4

List of current bugs

Postby Major Cooke » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:20 pm

I'm starting a bug list which I have found over time from playing. Feel free to add on as you see fit.

2/12/09, Multiwinia v1.2.5 retail version

-Harvesters sometimes "forget" that their full and continue to suck up souls, and won't move until manually commanded to.
-Harvesters also will sometimes stop depositing souls into SPs due to the high amount of overall multiwinians on the map, not by their team numbers.
-Some ant nest placements would not drain health unless every ant was destroyed, resulting in even more ants to be spawned for the next 10% of health remaining, even so much as to leave it completely empty at times and not self-destruct.
-Dark forests can sometimes loom to be much bigger than the biggest tree on the map
-(not a bug, more of a nuisance) Engineers die in fires way too often
-The crate-collecting particle effects are unrestricted, resulting in if say... several hundred MW's open a crate, it causes the game to lag considerably due to the amount of sparks flying
-Ants attempt to attack harvesters, resulting in FPS loss at times, even though they can't touch the harvester
-Futurewinian spaceships are far too repetitive in sucking up the same portion of the map every time (i.e. Field of unending dawn, the sunlit spawnpoints with the statue facing the light directly is always the target of futurewinians)
-The Plague tends to clone it's appearance too often, i.e. one moment i get a plague crate, twenty seconds later the next crate off the bat is 75% chance to be the plague AGAIN.
-Infection crate is the same way as the plague
-AI and meteor showers target same spots almost every time in retribution mode
-Officers can be made out of multiwinians within 5 seconds of their death, in an essence, which can be killed to spawn more souls for harvesting
-Plagued Multiwinians explode very fast in large groups, resulting in many of them being wiped out very fast
-Plagued MW's also tend to run in 1 direction when shooting wildly, and I believe that's north...
-Futurewinians, if pressured enough with over 1000 FW's in one area, will fire rockets at a large threat like eggs, grenades if they havent collected the rocketwinian crate.
-If shot with enemy subversion bullets, Futurewinians will not turn back into normal multiwinians, they also "die", leaving white souls behind
-Rocket turrets are too insensitive about how many friendly MW's are in the area, and if too close to buildings, will fire rockets at them sometimes if it detects enemies behind them. They should only have a line-of-sight to prevent these kinds of mishaps, and perhaps even disable clogged rocket pods until their clear for firing.
-Statues on Field of Unlife tend to explode if self-multiwinia pathfinding goes into ditches while carrying the statues
-Multiwinians chasing spore generators or enemies they have acquired from far away tend to shoot straight ahead of them instead of up with their rockets. Also tend to fire grenades in areas when the enemy is not even remotely near them.
-Field of Unending Dawn sometimes causes multiwinians to spam grenade barrages into the middle ring on King of the Hill if no enemies are present, once anyone who was there was killed (treats it like an enemy rocket ship).
-Leap of Faith laser fences are too tall, resulting in the off-island hopping Multiwinians catching on fire
-Magical Forest leaves tend to lag people out at times
-Multiwinians, on some levels, tend to fire grenades/rockets going uphill more often than downhill, and with rockets, Multiwinians tend to aim straight ahead resulting in horrific loss of an assault/defensive position
-Stairway to Heaven (RR) is unbalanced at the beginning, the one closest to the solar panels more often than not gets first-hand advantages
-Forest fires tend to cause massive lag if the forest is large, including tree size
-Ant nests with ants far outside it's travel radius tend to never take damage until those ants that are chasing an enemy are finally shot

More to come as I look around.
xander
level5
level5

Re: List of current bugs

Postby xander » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:43 pm

First off, it is much easier to address problems one bug at a time. This huge bug dumps are not really useful, as they do not foster discussion of individual problems, and overwhelm people. If you think you have found a bug, the best way to report it is to do so by first asking someone on IRC, then posting on the Windows Troubleshooting forum.

Major Cooke wrote:-Harvesters sometimes "forget" that their full and continue to suck up souls, and won't move until manually commanded to.
-Harvesters also will sometimes stop depositing souls into SPs due to the high amount of overall multiwinians on the map, not by their team numbers.

I have never seen this behaviour. If you play on Dedwinia servers that are associated with the ladder, and see this happening, you should post a link to the game so that IV can get a recording of it happening.

Major Cooke wrote:-Some ant nest placements would not drain health unless every ant was destroyed, resulting in even more ants to be spawned for the next 10% of health remaining, even so much as to leave it completely empty at times and not self-destruct.

I don't think you understand how ants are supposed to work. Either that, or you are not describing the problem very well. Ant nests only take damage when there are no ants in them. When all of the ants are gone, they take 10% damage, and 10 new ants are placed in the nest. So, if the ants are very effective in capturing souls (i.e. if the nests are well placed), then they can theoretically survive forever. I have never seen this mechanism fail to work properly, so I am confused as to what you think is happening.

Major Cooke wrote:-Dark forests can sometimes loom to be much bigger than the biggest tree on the map

Not a bug? I don't understand what you think the problem is. Can you provide a screenshot?

Major Cooke wrote:-The crate-collecting particle effects are unrestricted, resulting in if say... several hundred MW's open a crate, it causes the game to lag considerably due to the amount of sparks flying

Honestly, I don't see as this is a big deal. If you have that many DGs collecting a single crate, it will be completely collected very quickly, and any slowdown (which I haven't noticed, by the way, even on a relatively low-end system) should be short in duration. If it is really a problem, turn the detail levels down a bit -- that should help.

Major Cooke wrote:-Ants attempt to attack harvesters, resulting in FPS loss at times, even though they can't touch the harvester

You seem to have combined two problems -- (1) ants attack harvesters and (2) the ant AI causes FPS loss. The first issue I have not noticed, though I believe it. It isn't a huge bug, so I wouldn't expect to see it fixed any time soon. As to the second issue, your computer may just not be that powerful. Ants don't seem to cause me any problems -- I have far more problems with magical forests.

Major Cooke wrote:-Futurewinian spaceships are far too repetitive in sucking up the same portion of the map every time (i.e. Field of unending dawn, the sunlit spawnpoints with the statue facing the light directly is always the target of futurewinians)
-The Plague tends to clone it's appearance too often, i.e. one moment i get a plague crate, twenty seconds later the next crate off the bat is 75% chance to be the plague AGAIN.
-Infection crate is the same way as the plague

I am going to go ahead and say that you are suffering from observer bias. Without any data that has been collected in a systematic fashion, I see no reason to take these "bugs" seriously.

Major Cooke wrote:-AI and meteor showers target same spots almost every time in retribution mode

Yeah, this has been reported. The AI is dumb. Such is life.

Major Cooke wrote:-Officers can be made out of multiwinians within 5 seconds of their death, in an essence, which can be killed to spawn more souls for harvesting

Meh. Not really a bug.

Major Cooke wrote:-Plagued Multiwinians explode very fast in large groups, resulting in many of them being wiped out very fast

Such are the fortunes of war?

Major Cooke wrote:-Plagued MW's also tend to run in 1 direction when shooting wildly, and I believe that's north...

I have never noticed this, but I will keep an eye out. Honestly, plauged DGs tend to mill about in my experience -- they never really "run" anywhere.

Major Cooke wrote:-Futurewinians, if pressured enough with over 1000 FW's in one area, will fire rockets at a large threat like eggs, grenades if they havent collected the rocketwinian crate.

Why is this a bug?

Major Cooke wrote:-If shot with enemy subversion bullets, Futurewinians will not turn back into normal multiwinians, they also "die", leaving white souls behind

Heh. Interesting. This may be intentional?

Major Cooke wrote:-Rocket turrets are too insensitive about how many friendly MW's are in the area, and if too close to buildings, will fire rockets at them sometimes if it detects enemies behind them. They should only have a line-of-sight to prevent these kinds of mishaps, and perhaps even disable clogged rocket pods until their clear for firing.

Um... part of playing the game well is knowing how to place your units, such as turrets. DGs, and by extension the turrets they fire, are not really all that smart. If you put a flame turret in the middle of your units, your units will get roasted. If you put a rocket turret in the middle of your units, they will get exploded. Don't be stupid, and you won't blow up your units (unless, of course, your opponent is smart, and gives you a rocket turret in such a position that you will blow up your own units).

Major Cooke wrote:-Leap of Faith laser fences are too tall, resulting in the off-island hopping Multiwinians catching on fire

This has been discussed before.

Major Cooke wrote:-Magical Forest leaves tend to lag people out at times

To expand on this, if a magical forest is in the field of vision of the camera (whether it is behind landscape or not), framerates will drop precipitously.

Major Cooke wrote:-Multiwinians, on some levels, tend to fire grenades/rockets going uphill more often than downhill, and with rockets, Multiwinians tend to aim straight ahead resulting in horrific loss of an assault/defensive position

Once again, I think you are suffering from observer bias.

xander
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:17 pm

The observer bias I'm not. I'll grab a screenshot and show you how they will literally commit kamikaze and blow more of themselves up than the enemy. It's just stupid.

But seriously, the futurewinians never get to the other areas, and always end up dropping their futurewinians down nearest the double-spawns or the next door neighbors. I'll record it for you if I have time.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:24 pm

Major Cooke wrote:The observer bias I'm not. I'll grab a screenshot and show you how they will literally commit kamikaze and blow more of themselves up than the enemy. It's just stupid.

First off, with as many "bugs" as you reported, and as many times as I suggested observer bias, I don't even know what you are talking about. Second, sometimes DGs do stupid things. That is what they do. It is part of the game. Not a bug.

Major Cooke wrote:But seriously, the futurewinians never get to the other areas, and always end up dropping their futurewinians down nearest the double-spawns or the next door neighbors. I'll record it for you if I have time.

Prove it. I have been destroyed by futurewinans, and I have been aided by futurewinians. I cannot claim that I have seen any pattern to their attacks. So, prove it. Collect the data. Tell us what you are doing. Otherwise, I will continue to claim that you are experiencing observer bias.

xander
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:47 pm

It's not about where they land, it's about where they keep descending and using their tractor beam. (I can't provide a pic atm, whenever I use print screen it just pastes black).
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:02 am

Major Cooke wrote:It's not about where they land, it's about where they keep descending and using their tractor beam. (I can't provide a pic atm, whenever I use print screen it just pastes black).

I didn't say anything about landing. I said that I have been both destroyed and aided by futurewinians. I was referring to both situations in which my spawn points are stripped of DGs by a hovering saucer, and situations where they land on top of me. Of course, that doesn't matter, because you have still failed to provide any data at all, other than a gut feeling and some anecdotes. Describe exactly what you think is happening, and collect the data to prove it, otherwise it is nothing more than an anecdote, and probably related to observer bias.

xander
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:06 am

Major Cooke wrote:-Stairway to Heaven (RR) is unbalanced at the beginning, the one closest to the solar panels more often than not gets first-hand advantages
Heh.
Killjoy
level1
level1

Postby Killjoy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:59 pm

Major Cooke wrote:(I can't provide a pic atm, whenever I use print screen it just pastes black).

Printscreen does do that, I think you press P to take a picture, not sure so I am sorry if I have provided wrong information.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:31 pm

Killjoy wrote:
Major Cooke wrote:(I can't provide a pic atm, whenever I use print screen it just pastes black).

Printscreen does do that, I think you press P to take a picture, not sure so I am sorry if I have provided wrong information.

You are correct. Hit [P] to take a screenshot. The screenshot will be stored in your Multiwinia profile directory -- in the Multiwinia directory, there should be an app called ProfileLocater.exe (I think this app is also associated with Multiwinia in the Start menu). Run it, and it should open a new Explorer window showing your profile. One of the directories in there should have screenshots in there.

xander
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:32 pm

Killjoy wrote:

I will give it a shot...
tnosrac
level0

Postby tnosrac » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:12 am

Major Cooke wrote:-Harvesters sometimes "forget" that their full and continue to suck up souls, and won't move until manually commanded to.

I've noticed this as well. Sometimes they even seize up entirely, and become completely useless.

Maybe a way around this would be to make a toggleable option that would disable the tree pulsating, both magical and dark?. I know even my relatively good machine starts to lag a lot when there are lots of big forests on the field.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:15 pm

tnosrac wrote:

I've noticed this as well. Sometimes they even seize up entirely, and become completely useless.

Maybe a way around this would be to make a toggleable option that would disable the tree pulsating, both magical and dark?. I know even my relatively good machine starts to lag a lot when there are lots of big forests on the field.

Here here. Too right mate.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:33 pm

xander wrote:

I have never seen this behaviour. If you play on Dedwinia servers that are associated with the ladder, and see this happening, you should post a link to the game so that IV can get a recording of it happening.

I've seen this behaviour in a game I just played. The same issue seems to affect engineers too. It was this game.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:53 pm

While were at it:

-Multiwinians who capture a statue and drop it off at home have a tendancy to either move back to the spot where they picked up the statue or to continue with their last order before picking up the statue(i dont know which it is). This is most noticable on Field of Unending Dawn, as the multiwinians move to their destination 'as the crow flies', which makes you end up with a bunch of them trying to cross the water.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:43 am

Oh yeah I hate that... It's also noticeable on Field of Unlife. Drives me nuts...

Return to “The Future”