The Next Thing (next content update?)

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Kuth
level4
level4

The Next Thing (next content update?)

Postby Kuth » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:20 am

I don't mean for this to sound like a whiny n00b demand, even though it might come across as one.

I'm wondering where all the extra goodies are that we've been promised or have been hinted at.

Biggest thing: The map editor. As far back as release there's been talk about eventually getting a map editor for us normal people to play with and give our games a little more variety. For my part, this is what's stopping me from playing Multiwinia more often than I do now. While I could go hacking and slicing through both Multiwinia and Darwinia, fiddling with code and crossing my fingers in hopes it'll work, I'd rather have the easy tool that was promised to us since the beginning.

There was also the hint of possible new powerups that Icepick wanted to hear feedback on. The thread is still going... going so far as to have people repeat ideas proposed during the beginning. Will there be new powerups in the next content update?

I would like to know when- or if- we are getting these things. If not, why not? Has all Multi/Darwinia development gone towards Darwinia+, and we'll get the goodies then? Has everything been dropped in favor of Subversion and Chronometer?

I would just like to know the answers to these questions. I haven't seen them anywhere else... at least, anywhere prominent.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:15 am

No worries, we're all wondering about that.

Regarding the Editor, it's in beta testing. Admittedly, we testers have been a bit lazy at testing lately, and I assume the holiday season has also slowed things down a bit at IV. Details are NDA'd. Sorry. I wouldn't know any release date anyway, of course.

Regarding new powerups, don't hold your breath. I wouldn't be surprised if less than three of them actually get implemented, ever, and if it only happens in Darwinia+ first and the PC version gets an update around that time.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:03 am

My personal theory is that they intend it to be released simultaneously with the mac version.

This however is just wild speculation as I have no idea on the current status of the mac beta.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:44 pm

Xocrates wrote:My personal theory is that they intend it to be released simultaneously with the mac version.

This however is just wild speculation as I have no idea on the current status of the mac beta.

As no one ever asked me to sign an NDA regarding the Mac beta, and as some of the Ambrosia devs seem to have big mouths on IRC, the current state of the Mac beta is this: from the perspective of a lowly beta tester, it seems pretty much there, but there are a few major bugs that need to be ironed out before release. However, the entire beta process seems to be moving very slowly (though the holidays plus Macworld may have something to do with that).

xander
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:49 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:Regarding the Editor, it's in beta testing. Admittedly, we testers have been a bit lazy at testing lately, and I assume the holiday season has also slowed things down a bit at IV. Details are NDA'd. Sorry. I wouldn't know any release date anyway, of course.

GET YOUR LAZY ASS BACK TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am dying out here waiting for the map editor, and if it takes any longer I'll go into hunger striking, now you just might put me on a weightingscale and count down or hurry the fuck up!!
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:04 pm

You do realize that these kind of comments don't help you (or anyone else in this forum) at all?
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:05 pm

let me think........
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:34 pm

Cyan. wrote:let me think........

Don't strain yourself -- I know thinking is something to which you are unaccustomed.

xander
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:48 pm

let me then ponder in remorse :)
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:19 am

Fine, I'll go post a few glitches in the testing part of the forum.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:31 am

I'd guess it would coincide with another release also... though I would be welcome for a patch/fix to make additional maps happy with multiwinia's interface. Additional maps just push the others up into the title text and such...

We'll be waiting I suppose.
Greeba
level3
level3

Postby Greeba » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:20 pm

Cyan. wrote:
bert_the_turtle wrote:Regarding the Editor, it's in beta testing. Admittedly, we testers have been a bit lazy at testing lately, and I assume the holiday season has also slowed things down a bit at IV. Details are NDA'd. Sorry. I wouldn't know any release date anyway, of course.

GET YOUR LAZY ASS BACK TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am dying out here waiting for the map editor, and if it takes any longer I'll go into hunger striking...

Excellent, everybody down tools and go to the pub :roll:
"Timmy... fetch me my tools..."

Return to “The Future”