Further Adaption Ideas on the planned Spectator Mode.

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Killjoy
level1
level1

Further Adaption Ideas on the planned Spectator Mode.

Postby Killjoy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:56 pm

I read from the list that a Spectator Mode is planned, which I assume to be able to join a game select spectator and watch. / join a started game and watch (fly around) Chat to other spectators or if server allows it let everyone see all chat messages.

What about the Spectator being spawned a gold Darwinian (or whatever) with glasses on (Spectacles) and being able to walk around at normal speed, you could walk into a fire fight and watch the lasers fly around in rage mode.

Now there are some things I am not decided on this first person mode, would you be invisible to the players, and only visible to other spectators in first person mode, could you be vulnerable and get blasted back into free flight mode and have to respawn.

Or... taking the idea further, could you enlist to help the player out, i.e. spawn into the Green team and be a multiwinian with the Spectacles on, you cannot be ordered by the player or officers, but could go man that gun turret for the player. As this could give an unfair advantage to the other team, maybe only allow this if there are two or more helping spectators, (2 for the 2 teams, or 3 if its a three team game) or if its a four player game and only 2 are human 2 are CPU, allowed the spectators to be a CPU Multiwinian making the job of the players harder and the CPU does its thing, and your one man spectacle wearing Multiwinian goes to try cause havoc.

Anyway these are just loads of small ideas that can be adapted, whats your take on them?

First person Spectator (Spectwinian) ?
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:39 pm

Allowing spectators any kid of input into a game (even chatting) tends to be a recipie for disaster, regardless of the game. For a whole range of reasons, many of which you'll know if you play multiplayer much at all.

If you want to get a low-level view, just drop the level of the camera and zoom in. Much easier and much less restrictive.
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
MarvintheParanoidAndroid
level3
level3

Postby MarvintheParanoidAndroid » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:57 pm

How could spectator chat possibly have a disastrous effect on Multiwinia games? Everyone can see exactly the same things, what could a spectator tell you that you don't know already?
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:00 pm

You don't always spot an incoming attack as you move out to attack someone else, but the spectator has nothing better to do and will notice it for you.
Killjoy
level1
level1

Postby Killjoy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:57 pm

Which why it could be a advanced server setting, so Spectator Chat is visible only to other Spectators then its all good for Spectators, and admins who think it wouldn't be an unfair advantage could allow full chat.
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:14 pm

I like the idea of you being a one man walking around, tho t shouldn't have any input in the fight I think, even if it could only single shot once in a while it could snipe off spawns or such. But other then that you could maybe have a small spectator battle unoticed by the real players :), we should call them "the Others" Like in that movie. Fun idea killjoy, tho I doubt anyone really wants to spectate a fight, I mean why would you?

Return to “The Future”