Feature Request: Pop. Cap Notification?

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

mehoo462
level2
level2

Feature Request: Pop. Cap Notification?

Postby mehoo462 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:52 pm

Just wondering if this is possible, doable or a good idea.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe there game has a population cap. Which is fine and probably necessary. However, it'de be nice to have some notification of when you've HIT that population cap.

There have been several games where I have a vulnerable spawn point and am relying on the multiwinians that will pop out of that spawner momentarily to defend the point. However, they don't come. I get a little confused and kind of frustrated as my spawn point is undefended until I go "oh shoot, i'm probably at my pop. cap." Then send the horde of multiwinians I've acquired on the other side of the map to their dooms.

Then the spawn begins pumping out multiwinians as expected, but it's usually too late.

Some sort of notification when you're at your pop. cap would be nice.

I personally don't enjoy being surprised by the fact that my spawners aren't working.

This could be a simple as a message like the crate messages or the powerup limit-> "Population Limit Reached"

Although more effective would probably be a little icon that appears in the upper right or in the scoreboard or something to show that you're at the limit and the spawners aren't working. Could be a little picture of a spawner with an X through it.
Donat
level1
level1

Postby Donat » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:33 pm

If you hit your population cap, you ain't playing right :P
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:03 am

I'd actually support a way to view FPS and DW count and such like in real time while playing, as it generally makes the process of editing maps easier to know how things are going. I'm not certain it's that helpful for regular play, but I guess it might be nice to know.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
mehoo462
level2
level2

Postby mehoo462 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:39 am

Donat wrote:If you hit your population cap, you ain't playing right :P

Uh... that's possible, but it doesn't change the issue...
Last edited by mehoo462 on Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
isfacat
level0

Postby isfacat » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:18 am

mehoo462 wrote:Uh... that's possible, but it doesn't change the issue...

It's possible to hit a population cap? Wow. I was too busy destroying red MWs to notice.

/sarcasm
IronWill
level1
level1

Postby IronWill » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:32 am

I agree, that would be nice to know. Anyway there are not that much situations in which you reach your pop limits but there are.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:18 pm

If I recall correctly, there is population cap info in the map files.

If this is so, you could read that and memorise the pop-caps of your favourite maps, or you could alter the description (or even the thumbnail) to include this info.

-----

Also, I am fairly sure mehoo462 meant "It is possible that I am not playing right", and not "It is possible to hit the population cap". Your sarcasm is ill-put.
mehoo462
level2
level2

Postby mehoo462 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:46 am

zanzar, so you're suggesting that I open up the txt files and memorize the pop caps then COUNT my DGs? :twisted:

I'm just sayin' it's happened to me a couple times and It'de be really nice if there was a little icon that popped up int he corner or something to remind me what was going on.
moth
level1
level1

Postby moth » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:17 pm

A subtle alternative would be just to gradually reduce spawn numbers as you approach the limit, so that you never actually get there. Making the glow of spawn points flicker more and more as you get closer to the limit would be cool too.

Return to “The Future”