Formation vs Hoard

Discuss winning strategies to slaughter those enemy stickmen!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Atari
level0

Formation vs Hoard

Postby Atari » Fri May 15, 2009 9:38 pm

Is it better to form up your Darwinian troops into large battalions, thus losing grenades, or keep them in a "hoard" formation? When ever I use formation, a lucky grenade or two destroys it or they out flank me, and then when I use hoard, they get mowed down before they can throw a grenade. Which is better
Lord Atari, ruler of the Imperial Multiwinian Brigade
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri May 15, 2009 9:48 pm

Each is better at certain tasks. It depends on what you are doing with them. I have seen formations used very effectively on the offensive, and to guard choke points. They are good when you have a little elevation over your enemy, and are your best weapon against ant nests. In other situations, they don't work as well, and it is better to use mobs of DGs.

xander
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Fri May 15, 2009 10:01 pm

Is it better to split a mob up to three sections, for frontal and side to side assaults? Or rather keeping the mob together for either a flank or frontal assault?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri May 15, 2009 11:14 pm

sfericz wrote:Is it better to split a mob up to three sections, for frontal and side to side assaults? Or rather keeping the mob together for either a flank or frontal assault?

Depends on what you want to do with it. Personally, I think it is better to spread out, as it limits the ability of a single grenade to take out the entire group, but your milage may vary.

xander
Atari
level0

Postby Atari » Sat May 16, 2009 1:44 pm

Thanks all. I'll try it out!
Lord Atari, ruler of the Imperial Multiwinian Brigade
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat May 16, 2009 1:52 pm

sfericz wrote:Is it better to split a mob up to three sections, for frontal and side to side assaults? Or rather keeping the mob together for either a flank or frontal assault?
Not so sure about the frontal section for facing formations. Formations have the powers of "No fear" and "Shoot more" and tend to cause the in-game effect "Lawnmower" when you run in front of them.
Patrolman Smith
level1
level1

formations are a specialized tactic

Postby Patrolman Smith » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:55 am

i personally use formations for attack it creates the so called lawnmower effect and winians are pushed away and killed unless the defenders against the formation are on higher ground(don't attack from lower ground) i use it on even ground only to risky otherwise and for defenses only use it on higher land only, otherwise it is useless formation> horde on even ground or from higher ground
Patrolman Smith
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:05 pm

When it comes to moving DG's downhill, go mob force. Then, they'll launch grenades against officers in formations, ultimately scoring a high number of kills.
The Daemons
level2
level2

Postby The Daemons » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:04 pm

For me, formations have always worked best when combined with free-moving MW's. 1. they can replace any MW's lost from the formation, and 2. they can throw grenades when the formation can't.

Return to “Strategy and Tactics”