Unstoppable ants?

Discuss winning strategies to slaughter those enemy stickmen!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Randal Graves
level0

Unstoppable ants?

Postby Randal Graves » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:49 am

I think I found the perfect tactic to make ants a severe hassle, if not an actual THREAT to Multiwinians. They seem in my game to actually collect the souls from Magical Forests, so when one showed up there in my game on Holy Tree, they became nearly unstoppable, actually becoming too great in number to wipe out. I had to avoid the place the rest of the game due to lack of aerial power.

Has this happened to anyone else?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:46 am

Ants will use the souls from magical forests to swell their numbers, but ants only move in straight lines. Thus, it is very easy to predict where they are going to go, and very easy to stop them with formations. Set up one formation between the ant nest and a spawn point that you are trying to protect, and the ants won't bother you that much. Set up two formations almost right on top of an ant nest, offset by a few degrees, and the ant nest will very quickly be dead. It doesn't really matter if there is a magical forest nearby, as the ants won't get far enough to collect any new souls. As far as I am concerned, ants are only a hassle because you might need to devote a formation or two worth of troops to kill them.

xander
Aeshi
level1
level1

Postby Aeshi » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:27 pm

Ant nests can be placed in water.Place them a fair distance away though,the ants will attack and the enemy won't have the range to attack the nest.

Putting them behind mountains also works
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:21 pm

Aeshi wrote:Ant nests can be placed in water.Place them a fair distance away though,the ants will attack and the enemy won't have the range to attack the nest.

Putting them behind mountains also works

Again, ants travel in straight lines. All one needs to do is set up a formation along the beach where the ants are coming ashore, and kill them as they come within range. If there are no ants in the nest, then the nest takes damage, so placing nests in the water is often a good way to get your nest killed right fast, depending on the map.

xander
Aeshi
level1
level1

Postby Aeshi » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:04 pm

They do have one advantage.Ants have no limit to how far they pursue targets,if Armour goes over a "sea nest" (for lack of a better term) the ants will follow underwater.When the Armour approches land the ants will come out and attack,usually as the Armour is unloading.

If the ants encounter souls or Multiwinians on the way they will break off to collect the souls/fight (this can lead to the humourous image of ants grabbing souls/MW's and charging into the sea to take them to the nest) so you can use Armour as "Shepards" to guide the ants to spots you want attacked (as a distraction) and/or to souls/magical forests (to keep the colony healthy)

I had good fun with this in the RR demo level,placing ant nests in the lakes/rivers between the Islands (enemy armour got a nasty suprise!)
Randal Graves
level0

Postby Randal Graves » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:27 am

I can imagine that scenario, hundreds of ants just charging out of the ocean... not sure if the crate's available, but that'd be a hilarious distraction on an Assault map.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:55 am

Ants may be difficult to defeat when placed in the middle of magical forests, but they are no longer virtually unbeatable like they were immediately after release.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:59 am

those were the days...
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:04 am

Yes, yes they were, I remember when an ants' nest being placed would be greeted with a string of curse words worthy of Malcolm Tucker. . . .
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:05 am

Maybe someone should make a hard-core mod. Bring the old ants back (somehow), less health for the multiwinians, double the power and range of grenades, turrets, meteors, infections etc., and let the mayhem commence.

Either that or triple the rate of fire of the lasers and increas the multiwinian health.

Return to “Strategy and Tactics”