Heroes: essay by Cyan

Discuss winning strategies to slaughter those enemy stickmen!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Heroes: essay by Cyan

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:37 pm

Cyan is still banned, but wanted to post this, so I'm doing it on his behalf:

Mw, A game of heroes

I really liked the title, because it realates to quite a lot of rts games, yet there is no visible relation to mw. However the more I came to think of it I know know an even better format to explain where mw is all about. But let me explain first why I think you can say it's a game about heroes. Some of you will agree that every 40 man or so can make the difference between losing or winning a game. This also means that every 40 man or so used in the wrong manner can lose you the came.

Following this, you could say that every mw should be used as effectively as possible, here is where the heroes comes in play :). Every group of mw serves it's own purpose, some groups are meant to defend something, attack something, obstruct something, distract something, kill spawn et. etc. With some imagination you could say that all of these groups have there own specialties and abilities and thus are can be translated to a hero. For instance you gather a large group of mw to obstruct a supply line, you could say this is a tank-hero, or a smaller group on a hill you could say they are ranged heavy support, or just 5 man that are sent out to kill a spawn it could be translated to a stealthy hero etc. etc.

However I think these comparisons are fun and I hope others will tribute some of them, I think a better way of explaining mw is with the help of sun tzu. He said that every battle is a mixture of normal troops/hard troops whatever you want to call it, and special troops/soft troops. There are thousands of mixtures available. The way you use these will determine the outcome of any battle. Normal troops are meant to "hold" an enemy at one place while special troops will flank the enemy and deal the decisive blow. This is just one example but the general idea is that you use these 2 different forms of warfare and exploit both to there maximum extend, and remember the one cannot exist without the other. As only normal troops will get stuck and will not fullfill any goal and only special troops will get crushed by normal groups. About earlier where I said that 40 man can make a difference, when normal troops kill a group of 40 special man this could be a huge deal, however if 40 special man throw grenades to normal troops and kill 40+ man this also could be the end of it. Playing this way can be hugely entertaining and I think this kind of play should be encouraged with some features that lay more of an accent on this gameplay style. (Hardcore mode)

I think mainly Eternal Guardians Dom represent this gameplay style and if you're intrested you should try to learn playing this map. Some general tips:
Try to conquer one middle spawn while harassing the other middle spawn so that it doesn't work, be carfull for the trees in the middle and try to sneak a group to the enemies "home-spawns".

Also I really hope IV will give the possibility to change the perspective mode into "fog of war", and they should promote this game more as a hardcore e-sport ;P, seriously when you get to the bottom of this game, Every single move counts and it's almost like a game of realtime chess.
Lithilk
level1
level1

Postby Lithilk » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:45 am

You have to admit, he does love the game. For that, he has some merit.
Kaizer
level1
level1

Postby Kaizer » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:17 am

still a complete twat though.
Lynx225
level0

Postby Lynx225 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:21 am

Also I really hope IV will give the possibility to change the perspective mode into "fog of war", and they should promote this game more as a hardcore e-sport ;P, seriously when you get to the bottom of this game, Every single move counts and it's almost like a game of realtime chess.

I agree, it's a lot like real time chess (In my humble opinion). As such, why would you want to introduce fog-of-war to make the game less accessible to new players? A lot of the strategy is seeing what your enemy is doing and trying to counter it. Also, FOW would make crates such as nukes, Meteor Shower, and Air/Napalm Strikes less than useless.
ô_ô
moth
level1
level1

Postby moth » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:06 pm

Small numbers of MW in convex terrain can be partisans, harassing and distracting the enemy who keep on the edge of laser range then can't kill because of the terrain gets in the way. Or they can rush-attack undefended spawns if they are ignored.

Although admittedly i've never found myself on the wrong side of his attention, I for one feel cyan is well worth putting up with. Of all the people i've interacted with while playing this game, he has contributed most to me enjoying it. Fighting and chatting with him has made me a better player in ways that being clinically thrashed by xander haven't (maybe that makes xander a better player, but so what?). I find cyan's strategy posts really helpful too.

While cyan has obviously done some pretty nasty things, on the other side i've found the community's reaction to him has seemed patronising and cliquey at times; almost as grudging of his achievements as his trouble.

moth
Lithilk
level1
level1

Postby Lithilk » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:48 pm

moth wrote:Although admittedly i've never found myself on the wrong side of his attention, I for one feel cyan is well worth putting up with. Of all the people i've interacted with while playing this game, he has contributed most to me enjoying it. Fighting and chatting with him has made me a better player in ways that being clinically thrashed by xander haven't (maybe that makes xander a better player, but so what?). I find cyan's strategy posts really helpful too.

While cyan has obviously done some pretty nasty things, on the other side i've found the community's reaction to him has seemed patronising and cliquey at times; almost as grudging of his achievements as his trouble.

moth

Quoted for truth.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:01 pm

Thank you for the completely irrelevant bump on a subject you very obviously are not fully aware of.
adamgreen
level0

Re: Heroes: essay by Cyan

Postby adamgreen » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:12 am

still a complete twat though. Would somebody have the option to compose my uk.bestessays.com? I got huge issues with it and need help right now. My paper about war, I need brief about incredible suggestion. Mayby, someone will help
kabucha
level2
level2

Postby kabucha » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:47 pm

Hi all. Not so long ago, at my university, a teacher asked us to write a descriptive essay. Unfortunately, I'm too bad at writing essays and immediately started thinking how I could delegate essay writing to someone else and eventually came across the essaystone site where professionals were able to write essays for me on descriptive topics.
My teacher was very pleased with the essay that I gave him and thus I got the highest score.
Gorken
level1
level1

Postby Gorken » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:53 pm

During my school time, I very often had problems writing various essays or essays. My parents or older sister constantly helped me. With age, when I already began to earn a little during my student days, I learned that there are web services that help to write different texts by already experienced people who understand this free essay generator. Personally, I got one single site where I can essays for money which I use to this day and recommend it to all my friends. Perhaps you can really use it in the future.
StenOnly
level0

Postby StenOnly » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:08 am

I've found the perfect solution for my academic challenges. The convenience of being able to pay for essay www.payforwriting.com is a game-changer. The talented pool of writers here has consistently delivered high-quality, original, and well-researched papers on time. It's not just about getting your assignments done; it's about getting them done exceptionally well. The easy ordering process and transparent pricing make it a stress-free experience. Plus, the privacy and confidentiality measures in place give me peace of mind. If you're a student juggling multiple responsibilities, this service can be a reliable academic ally. Highly recommended!

Return to “Strategy and Tactics”