How to filter crates...

Discuss winning strategies to slaughter those enemy stickmen!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Major Cooke
level4
level4

How to filter crates...

Postby Major Cooke » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:18 am

Before you begin, please note that if you want to play this on multiplayer, the others must have this as well.

We will assume you know how to extract the data folder from your main.dat with WinRAR. Just open it with that program.

So you want to filter out some of the most annoying powerups which you find absolutely worthless huh? like speed up and slow down?

Then this guide is for you. Beware, this only works on modified levels with invalidcrates properties in the map descriptions.

1. Find the map that you want to filter crates out and add _test before the .txt part and extract it to your levels folder. Make sure there are not duplicates of the map or it will only hog up the list when you go to choose a map. You can find out which map is the one you want by going in and just hit play on that map, to make sure it's the right one.
2. Get out of multiwinia, and open the file. For instance, mine is Field of Unending Dawn, KOTH. I would open up mp_koth_3P_2_test.txt.
3. At the very beginning of the file, there is MultiwiniaOptions_StartDefinition. In here on it's own line, put down InvalidCrates. All crates MUST be in the same line as this!
4. Make a tab between the InvalidCrates and the first crate. The rest can be one space apart.
5. Here's a list of crates that I know can be filtered out. Type them in by their REAL NAME.

Code: Select all

Real name - Game Name
bitzkreig - Mega Rage
spawnmania - Spawn Mania
slowdown - Slooooow dooooown...
airstrike - Self explanatory.
autospaceship - Futurewinians*
speedup - Speed up
meteor - Meteor Shower
nuke - Nuke Barrage
squad - Squad
engineer - Engineer
darkforest - Dark Forest*
autodarkforest - Dark Forest**
flameturret - Flame Turret
autoinfection - Infection outbreak*
autoplague - Plague outbreak*
napalmstrike - Napalm Strike
hotfeet - Hot Feet
autotriffid - Triffids*
antnest - Ant Nest**
autoantnest - Ant Nest*
rage - Rage
personalshield - Personal Shield
subversion - Subversion
gunturret - Gun Turret
rocketturret - Rocket Turret
magicalforest - Magical Forest
harvester - Harvester
egg - Eggs
rocketwinians - Rocketwinians
darwinians - Reinforcements

* = These are automatic placement crates that deploy at the location their opened. Putting these here reduces their chances of appearing down from medium to slim/none. They will still appear from time to time.
** = These are the placeable version of some powerups. This will disallow players from gaining these powerups at all, though if you don't include the auto version, they will appear on their own.

Another thing you should note down, Meteor Shower, Dark Forest, Magical Forest, Eggs, Airstrike, and Ant Nests *cannot* be prevented from popping up in Retribution mode. If your smart enough to destroy the enemy and don't want those fearsome powerups appearing in your face, I'd disable retribution mode if I were you.

Other than that... enjoy. :twisted:
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:00 am

your == second person possessive pronoun
you're == contraction of "you are"

Aside from that, and without breaking the NDA, I suggest that you hold off on edits like this until after the map editor is released. If these settings are in the map file, then you ought to be able to edit them in the editor. At the moment, the player base of Multiwinia is already pretty small, and making your client incompatible with other people's is only going to serve to further reduce the number of potential players.

xander
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:38 pm

Shouldn't this topic be on the maps and mods forum?

As for the topic, I like crates, and I wouldn't want to turn them off selectively.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:54 pm

xander wrote:Aside from that, and without breaking the NDA, I suggest that you hold off on edits like this until after the map editor is released. If these settings are in the map file, then you ought to be able to edit them in the editor. At the moment, the player base of Multiwinia is already pretty small, and making your client incompatible with other people's is only going to serve to further reduce the number of potential players.

xander

I was going to, but a couple of people just kept pushing me for how I made the predatorwinia map filtered out, so this is only to the folks that REALLY hate half the powerups in certain maps.

Oh, and these will only work on maps that you change the names on, so it won't truly make them incompatible so long as they follow my instructions and add something to the end of the name like _test or _modified or anything like that. It doesn't touch the normal maps at all, they can still replay the originals however they like.

Oh and Jelco... You should mentally note that it's unstoppable because when they see several retribution meteor showers heading their way and begin to start screaming "WTF" in my PM box... I just put it right here so I can tell them to reread the topic, because I'm tired of them demanding every little damn way to be their way. And yes, it truly doesn't stop meteor showers from happening on that single map from coming in retribution wise.

Return to “Strategy and Tactics”