The Ultimate Mirco-Managing Guide

Discuss winning strategies to slaughter those enemy stickmen!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Cyan.
level3
level3

The Ultimate Mirco-Managing Guide

Postby Cyan. » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:25 pm

So to create this Ultimate Guide I hope everyone that's knows anything will tell, so that it can be as comprehensive as possible.

I can imagine that Micro-Managing differneces under different circumstances or modes/maps, so please say when you use the particulary tactic, how and why it's usefull.

To start with, I have three small matters.

Micro-managing a spawn fight is probably one of the more important skill you have to know, to say it simplistic, to win a spawn you have to get more troops there and cut of your enemy suply lines.

So how can you translate this in to micromanagement?
First thing first when you see you're enemy moving for a spawn, decide whether you want and can fight over that spawn with him, I'll not go into detail how to make these decisions, but if you have common sense you'll understand, otherwise take a look at the general strategy post, in this topic.

Now there are 2 different fights, fighting for a free spawn or fighting for a occupied sapwn.

Fighting over a free spawn

When you decide you want to occupy a free spawn it is most important you get there quick, preferably quicker then your enemy. Let's say you get there first, you have to choices now, occupy spawn and move the battlefield to before the spawn or defend spawn against enemy occupancy.
Let's say you want to waite with occupying the spawn. After you get there choose the best spot there is, best spot means in general a higher ground, but also trees can be part in this decision. Besides that, your spot must be accesable for new reinforcements and if possible it must deny your enemy to take the 2nd best spot or you can attack his main suply route from there. When you have this spot create a new "base" of mwg's on the second best spot. Multiple attack angels are always favourable.
This should be good enough to make sure the opponent won't occupy the spawn and in the case of equel reinforcements, you'll get a advantage of numbers overtime. With this advantage you can grab the spawn.

Occupying the spawn has one big advantage wich is that you'll get 40 extra man over time. To do this succefull however you need to keep your enemy at a distance in order to keep your spawn alive. This limits you in your choices for good spots. Best thing to do is too move your forces as far ahead as possible and when you face your opponents mwg's retreat as slowly as possible, all the way buying you time for your new reinforcements. Do this however only with your first group and use the rest of your new reinforcements to defend the spawn more close by. This is to prevent your enemy form encircle you.

When you don't get there at first it will be somewhat harder. This is also because moving forces won't shoot, until they are shot wich gives you clearly a disadvantage. However they are more likely to throw a grenade when they encounter enemy forces while moving. Tho harder I'll still use somewhat the same tactics I described above. When your eney has occupied the best spot, try to conquer it before you go for the spawn, best way to do this is to move some forces around and cut of his supply line. Two ways to do this properly or you choose a good spot wich his supplu line if crossing, hoping to harras him with grenades, to let this work you need a larger troop. Or you just attack his forces slowing him in the process. This extra time is hopefully enough for you to take over the best spot. When your opponent has occupied the spawn, make sure he won't get his reinforcements, to make sure kill his spawn on time even if it's just for a second.

Fighting over a occupied spawn

Is mainly the same, tho somewhat different. Mostly different is that it is probably mid- to endgame and you have greater flexability in how much reinforcements you can send to that particulary spawn. In general you want to end a spawn fight quick, to best do this is to mass some forces go to the spawn. When arrived grab some good spots, move most of your forces to the back and let some forces stand before spawngate, but out of shooting range. Then attack the back of the spawn, when the enemy reacts to this move your forces from the front in and any other forces available. Most important is, is that you have a advantage in numbers, and may I remind you that the enemy spawn can get at any time, new reinforcements.
Some macro advise, in order to keep an advantage in numbers attack enemy suply lines or keep him busy on another place, for instances attacking his home spawns.

Somewhat more general (copy of other post):

To start, a spawn is occupied by 5 mwg's, the minimum to start a spawn is 3 mwg's. Logically when you kill 3 of the 5 mwg's your spawn will be dead.
The best way to kill an undefended spawn is going around the back, this means that you are behind the portal where the mwg's come out, and start killing the mwg's occupying the spawn 1 by 1. When doing this you shouldtake account of when the last troop of reinforcements was send.
This last thing is important because if you can kill the spawn before the new reinforcements has arrived you are obviously in an advantage.

Hmm long text and I still feel like I didn't tell all. Well anyway here are the other 2 small issues I had in mind.

CTS, When fighting over a statue, you will be in a hge disadvantage when the statue is sucking up your mwg's, so keep them away far enough. I also noticed that the multiwinia's seem to throw more grenades then usual at statues that are taken, often killing lot's of your man

Also when you fight, and especially if you have a larger troop, you should notice when an enemy grenade is thrown and mover your man out of the way, most of the time your mwg's will react later then you do and so by doing this you'll often save a few mwg's.
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:20 pm

One way to micro-manage an incoming attack

If someone sends a straight line of reinforcements to your spawn one way to succesfully counter this is too split your forces in two. Move the 2 troops too both sides of his supply line, when there is a gap between the reinforcemnts move some mwg's from both sides in that gap and send a small percentage to the new enemy reinforcements wich are coming. By doing this you encircle your enemy and thus you have an attacking advantage. If done properly you have enough time to kill the first group of enemy reinforcements and if done correctly you should now have a advantage in numbers too, do this again with the second group and etc.

This is a very basic tactic and you can apply a lot of extra things while doing this, but just so you have a general idea for now.
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:55 pm

Micro-managing an empty ACP for a turret is quite easy, as soon as he is in manual shooting range, start to shoot, now he'll probably reach your turret before it's explode, tho this depends on the terrain he is moving over, but here's the thing, it will turn around and move some seconds in shooting range again, ths is your chance to shoot it so it'll explode.

If you don't do this, you probably all know, your own mwg's will start throwing grenades at it damaging your turret as well. (This tactic was provided by you by: Bert, Mas and NeoThermic? ;))

Another thing about moving ACP's to turrets is that, when you notice the turret isn't on manual control you can drop a few mwg's to disract fire from your ACP, this is espeically helpfull when your ACP is moving up on a steep mountain.

Last thing for now, try to approach a turret in a crossline, this is to make it more difficult for manual control to hit your ACP. Because he'll have to move his turret-view.
red rouge
level1
level1

Postby red rouge » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:26 am

thanks cyan i found the thing avout the armoured car very ussefull
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:18 pm

Cool bump 8) how did I miss this thread before?
The Daemons
level2
level2

About the APC cross-line approach...

Postby The Daemons » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:29 am

Indeed, this is a useful tactic when the turret is on manual. However, I have personally found that this is not difficult to over-come, all one must do is (assuming it's a machine gun turret) line up the bullets correctly, or in other words compensate for the APC's movement by firing slightly ahead of it's movement path and then be consistent with it.

Of course, if it's a rocket turret then the compensation will be a little more difficult, but otherwise, it's the same principle, as a rocket is a projectile just like a bullet.

Now, if it's a flame turret the strategy changes completely...for both attacker and defender, as this is a very close range weapon. The best offense is an omnidirectional assault (that is, attacking from every possible angle of approach). Similarly, send in a small handfull of MW's (if manual control, then just skip this part) to act as a distraction. Then swarm it from all sides. I've found that a sufficient number of MW's is about 200-300. (NOTE: DO NOT USE FORMATIONS. THIS SHOULD BE A NO-BRAINER)

What do you guys think?

Return to “Strategy and Tactics”