Multiwinia mimicing real world tactics?

Discuss winning strategies to slaughter those enemy stickmen!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

TheRileyDuo
level1
level1

Multiwinia mimicing real world tactics?

Postby TheRileyDuo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:16 am

One of the things I enjoy doing with games is how they can reflect real world situations. In this case, war. Now, everyone knows that Green Dog Sector is supposed to feel like D-Day, but let's take a look at a less popular, but far better example. The map "Hamburger hill" is a well designed 2 player map. The basic idea of the map is 2 mountain ranges, which predilect themselves to one side or the other, with a mid point in a small gultch. While it's almost symetric in design, thanks to it's differences in elevation, it has many different types of spawn zone bases. While everyone starts at a seashore spawn point, there is the chance to go for a) high alltitude base, but it's far behind the standard line of attrition, b) another low alltitude base, but it's very close to the enemy's opening spawn, so quick strikes to the enemy's rear are very possible, but it's in the middle of the map, so it's easy for the opposing team to conflict you for it, or c) a middle alltitude base, very close, near a few trees.

Obviously, you probably want the closest one first (c), but there is also a spawn in the very back of the map, and it's out of the way. So it has less value, because multiwinias have to walk farther to get into conflict, but it can make for some great flanking around the enemies mountain.

The point I'm trying to get across is that there are many spawn points that can reasonably be held by either side, and that making an attack on one of the main spawns is difficult, so it becomes all about that middle territory. It seems to me that the map is a good representation of trench warfare from WW1. With both sides trying to inch closer to one another, but they can't move too far ahead, because of how dangeroud the middle is.

Any other examples of maps that depict real world war situations?
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:33 pm

I don't exactly have an example, but I too noticed how Multiwinia is sort of a low-poly simulation of war.

Like I said I don't have examples so... bye. :P
DoubleFelix
level1
level1

Postby DoubleFelix » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:28 am

Ants!
Oh, wait, no...
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:53 am

Personally, unless both sides are willing to role play Napoleonic style warfare minus the Calvary and artillery, I don't think it's anywhere close to real life.

That being said, every now and then when meat grinding a assault choke point it reminds me of the charge of the light brigade.

Return to “Strategy and Tactics”