The Third Kind -assault

Discuss winning strategies to slaughter those enemy stickmen!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

felixxx999
level1
level1

The Third Kind -assault

Postby felixxx999 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:43 am

Is there a way for attackers to win this? I've been playing single player easy and I always end up running out of time. Once I got a nuke in a crate which solved the 4 turrets but how do I defeat them without such luck?
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:00 am

Cooperation has gotten me (or rather, us) victory as attacker quite a few times on that map.

Can't speak for Single Player though, as I've only played it multiplayer.

---

What I do (when there are no armours) is, I have 4-6 formations all lined up next to each other, and tell them all to attack at the same time - this means an attack from all accessible angles at once.

This usually won't get me the battle, but most of the time it gets me close enough to knock out a few turrets (or perhaps even gain control of one - which I then steer manually FOR GREAT JUSTICE).

A stream of unformationed Multiwinians can take out one or two turrets easy, so any left-over that didn't go in the first assault (I keep about 100-200 about two formationlengths behind) can come in and gain control of the now-knocked-out turrets.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:07 am

You have to exploit the terrain. The more honest one would be hiding behind hills so that you're in range of the turrets but the turrets have no line of effect, getting you significantly closer to them, allowing a better shot at killing the MWs controlling them.
Throw in a distraction of visible MWs in the other direction for better results.
Getting some crates may help a lot.

At least, this is partly how I nearly lost.

At the the wall of turrets at the end, the other guy pretty much had to plant a flameturret behind the line of gunturrets and run straight at it from almost every angle. This burned everything.
I'm not sure what else would be effective here. Maybe a turret under manual control?

zanzer7 wrote:[Beyond the Pale strategy?]
Huh?
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:25 am

Oh, I got this wrong =( I was actually thinking of The Hard Way.

Oh well, the formation spamming has worked for me on The Third Kind before. Not as effective as Mas' strategy, though. My bad!
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:21 am

Every time i host this map, i get sync error on game startup. :(
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:44 pm

I find the best way to capture the wall of four turrets is to line a load of multiwinians up outside the laser fence while it is still up, then when it goes down there is no distance to cover, I've captured the four turrets within about 10 seconds of the wall going down this way :)

edit:: saying that, I still can't convincingly win the map against anything other than an easy CPU :P
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
felixxx999
level1
level1

Postby felixxx999 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:46 am

the new patch adds a fence to the mountains making it impossible to win playing attackers.

Man, this game is annoying me. Can't find anyone to play on line and the single player games are either too easy or impossible.

Is there anyone that can beat The Third Kind playing single player?
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:49 am

Yes. :P
In all likelihood, most of us here can.

Shwart!!
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:10 am

I need a little more practice on it (one radar remained), but I did pick up a nice trick from those darling AIs:

Grenades get through the fence and damage the turrets. I didn't actually know this.
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:06 am

Ants can walk through force fields and walls, too
felixxx999
level1
level1

Postby felixxx999 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:20 am

good tip on the ants and gernades behind force fields... however I still just don't have enough time to do it. Someone above posted that most posting on this board can complete this mission single player. I highly doubt it. I can do every level that Ive tried on easy and most on normal right now.
felixxx999
level1
level1

Postby felixxx999 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:18 am

Well, I finally beat Third Kind as an attacker (single player). The trick was to use something from a crate on the green section that was guarded by gun turrets 2 deep (North West from where you start the game).

Begin the game as normal taking out the southern gun; and hope for an ant's nest or meteor shower from a crate while you're down there taking care of business. Green doesn't go back and try to replace the missing darwinians in that NW location. While your waiting for the right crate to do that, have all your troops waiting outside the shielded door to their base (North East where the UFO is). Then when the shields come down the overwhelming force of darwinians have either already taken out the guns behind the shields with gernades or quickly will after the shield comes down.

You really do have to rely on getting the right crate however. Otherwise, you just don't have enough time to get a decent group to go and take out the NW location and then finally the NE location. There's just not enough time.

Return to “Strategy and Tactics”