Assault: The impossible made possible.

Discuss winning strategies to slaughter those enemy stickmen!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Donat
level1
level1

Assault: The impossible made possible.

Postby Donat » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:35 pm

For many people who first start playing Assault, attacking seems like an impossible task, but it is not.

ATTACKING:

Your main ally while attacking are your Numbers / Mass of multiwinians, and if their on the map, Armors.

Firstly when attacking you are going to loose multiwinians, ALOT of them attacking, this is inevitable so don't just give up if you loose the first few waves. When you don't have armors on the map, your going to have to accumulate 2-3 spawns of your Multiwinians before storming anything.

The trick to getting past the gun turrets is to trick them, split your multiwinian's into two groups, then run both of them at the gun. If on side is lagging behind or not getting there in time, hold off the other. The key is to get one group up close to the turret to take out its operators, while the other group gets shot at. Once the turret is taken it can be used against anything remaining. You can do this to just about any turret as long as it isn't on a hill, on a hill all bets are off, its hard to sneak up on something you have to climb to get to. In instances where hills come too, its more about sheer force and numbers.

When you have Armor's, its a whole different story. Load up your armor with 100 / the most multiwinians you can fit in, next run the armor at the gun turret, before your armor quite reaches the turret, start unloading it by right clicking. Then run around the turret in a circular motion, when you get about 50 on the turret (if there are no green re-reinforcements in the area) you can then right click again and move on to the next turret and dump 50 more. This works extremely well because your effectively getting close to the gun and giving it too many targets to shoot at.

Alternatively, if you don't wish to risk your Multiwinians, you can run the armor at the turret and hit C when it arrives to cause an explosion to attempt and take out the ones controlling the turrets.

Another Side tip, the whole goal leading up to the destruction of the WMD is to take out shields, if you get a power up like eggs, or something to that effect, you can use it behind the guns on the winians using the solar pannels, or place it just out of the guns reach to back you up. Crates are key in general, if one is falling within your grasp you should go for it, (but not waste too much time or resources)

Once you blow past the turrets and take down the shields, start dumping Multiwinians on the controllers and boom!

Defense:

three words- Manual, Crates, Reinforcements.

You can shoot better then the computer, when red sends a mass of multwinians at you take control of one of the turrets by left clicking on that. You also shoot farther then the turret AI does, so take advantage of that.

if it looks like you can hit them from where they are, you most likely can. When the mass comes down on you at a long range, take them out with a sweeping motion, you want to take out as many as you can before they get too close to your gun. Manual control also helps you avoid being snuck up on, if one side is keeping you busy and the other is coming just start shooting the ones sneaking up on you.

Crates. You'll get alot of them if their on. try to keep a few multiwinians around to pick them up, they can be useful to quell oncoming storms, use to get back turrets, or take out a mass before it bears down on you. I find it useful if you have armor, that after transporting the main bulk of your reinforcements to keep about 10-20 in the armor and go around getting crates in the down time that red is building the mass.

reinforcements. You should always bulk up your multiwinans around the turrets in a formation, that way they shoot strait and don't run away, if the turrets do die, then you have something to stave off the tide, or get back into the turret if its just disabled. Don't be afraid to relocate them if your guns are dying or dead, its better to have them to back you up then have them just die.

So I hope this helps everyone who is having trouble playing Assault. Here's to a few better games.
Greeba
level3
level3

Postby Greeba » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:59 pm

The first Assualt game I've tried, I was defending and the attacking side got all the crates?!
"Timmy... fetch me my tools..."
Donat
level1
level1

Postby Donat » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:14 pm

Weird, because mainly the fall on you, because you have the majority of the map unless some one changed the default settings.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:40 pm

Good advice. Another important thing for attackers:
You don't need to conquer all enemy turrets. Sometimes there is a way around them, or just through them. On The Third Kind, climb over the mountain range by the sea to get to the solar panels. If you have armours, just let three loaded ones drive straight through to your objective (possibly with additional distraction from a wave of Multiwinans rushing in). Remember you can drive through walls :) One of them will make it.

For defenders:
There usually is a population limit hurting the attackers. It works best for you late in the match, when the reinforcements have a longer way to travel. So if you have powerups that eliminate large numbers in a short time, such as subversion or the meteors, use them as late as possible. If you hold the first attack wave at the first checkpoint, you gain one minute. If you do the same with an attack wave on heart of the fortress, you gain three minutes. Downside is, of course, that you'll lose more ground earlier and the attackers get more crates.

Confusing or holding back the attackers is almost as valuable as eliminating them. A nuke barrage won't kill anyone, it's too slow for that; but the attackers will not dare to enter the impact zone, buying you two minutes. A conveniently placed empty armour will make the attackers panic and throw suicidal grenades (extra great on slopes). An airstrike in front of the marching hordes will break their flow.

Also, two words: Subversion Turret.
Greeba
level3
level3

Postby Greeba » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:47 pm

Donat wrote:Weird, because mainly the fall on you, because you have the majority of the map unless some one changed the default settings.

Maybe it was the map, or just some function of tremendously bad luck. In this particular game, my opponents will tell you, I was using the chat function to question just what the hell I was supposed to do as they were using various crates to plough through my turrets like they weren't there and they rolled over me in about 10 minutes. Shall try some more.
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:53 pm

For defense, if it seems like you're losing most of your base, remember:

The enemy needs ALL THREE charge stations!
Pick the one that is easiest to defend, and defend it! This isn't possible on all maps, though, for example in Dog Green Sector, where none of the charge points have a little mini-base.
Greeba
level3
level3

Postby Greeba » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:05 pm

After my first duff game I've had some more positive experiences in 1vs1, both attacking and defending. Suicide Armours are definitely a good way of clearing turrets...
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:38 pm

If you have multiple armor, just drive on past the turrets. They may get one, maybe two, but the third one will almost always get through.
ding333
level0

Postby ding333 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:16 pm

don't just defend one control station. Remember that the game is designed so that attackers can win and so the point of the game is to slow them down at every possible point and not try and stop them altogether at one point.
Xaiier
level1
level1

Postby Xaiier » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:55 pm

On The Third Kind, the first place is really easy to hold. If that fails, withdraw to the inner base, and reinforce the two control points. The flame turret and two gun turrets are nearly impossible to get through without a crate.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:57 pm

Bump.

Return to “Strategy and Tactics”