Formations versus Individual Multiwinians

Discuss winning strategies to slaughter those enemy stickmen!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Darthcaboose
level0

Formations versus Individual Multiwinians

Postby Darthcaboose » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:13 am

According to the tutorial and a bit of observation, there's quite a big strategic difference between grouping your MWs into formation or leave them as individual units. I list the pros and cons in what I feel are the most important to least important factors...

Formation pros:

1. Longer laser firing range.
2. Forces MWs to stand still, no continuous moving means they spend more time shooting, and not moving about can save them from marching into some bad event.
3. Makes mass MW management a little easier.

Formation cons:

1. MWs in formation do not fire grenades.
2. Grouped up MWs are vulnerable to grenades, bad crate events that do strike them.
3. Cannot respond well to enemy flanking maneuvers; needs time to move and turn around.

Individual pros:

1. Can fire grenades! (Kaboooom!!!)
2. Can turn and move around quickly.
3. Responds better to threats that might kill them (like grenades, virii, burning forests and what not).

Individual cons:

1. Shorter laser range.
2. Continuous responses to enemy MWs seems to reduce the individual MWs fighting efficiency (they spend as much time backing off as they do firing).
3. Wanderlust makes mass MW management more difficult.

So which is better? In concentrating fire power at a distance, and to try and keep a semblance of a battle line (something that prevents enemies from getting through to your critical points), the formation mode is best. Countering an enemy formation, however, is a little more interesting. If you're MWs numbers are overwhelming the enemy's, then it probably won't matter much. An even fight, which'll be what you'll have to deal with in most games, is where the above pros and cons really kick in.

Fighting a formation with another formation is all about numbers and a bit of tactical maneuvering. Since MWs in formation seem to have a limited angle of firing from the front (seems like they will not attack units to the side while they're engaged up front), it's best to maneuver them such that as many enemies as possible is in their view. Other than that, it is purely a numberfest; whoever has the most lasers usually wins.

Fighting a formation with an equal number of individual MWs is a bit risky in the conventional sense of organized warfare, but has great rewards when it works out. In many ways, I think of this scenario much like the tactics employed by the Americans against the British during the American Revolutionary War. While the British fought the Americans in good ol' standard formation, the Americans won the day with a lot of hit-'n-run attacks, oh, and a lot of help from the French (sorry Introversion, but it's really the best example I can think of, love dem Brits though).
In much the same way, a MW formation will beat off an individual MW attack if they can keep their distance and take them small groups at a time. En masse and doing a bit of flanking, though, is where the formation loses its great advantage. You're essentially betting on how quickly your individual MWs will lob grenades at the enemy (sometimes, I've noticed, you get a whole bunch of individuals never even tossing a single grenade... boo).

Well, that's my 2 cents, what are your experiences with strategizing about formations and individual MWs?
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:32 am

It should also be noted that grouped Multiwinians run faster than those in formation.

Personally I seem to use both formation-advances (with 2-3 formations advancing in block form) or sometimes swarming the enemy with enmassed Multiwinians.

When it comes to holding a position, always go with formation multiwinians. Combined with a turret, and only a powerup can defeat you if you have your cards right. That, or you're swarmed from multiple directions...
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:51 am

Well I don't know if I should keep some of the tactics which were amassed over testing so that those who know them can have a couple of weeks of fun with the noobies. But I'll give the basics so that we get some good competitive games.

Firstly formations turn painfully slowly so if you realize you're going to get flanked it's best not to try and do a full turn but instead break the formation and start a new one facing the opposite way.

As already said the best way to take out formations is to send two smaller forces to flank it both sides rather than one big force.

Some disagree but as far as I'm concerned don't try to attack a turret with a formation since they move so slowly towards them, against flame turrets doublely so and rocket turrets triplely so.

Following on from that when attacking turrets always try to spread out your forces, instead of attacking en mass from one side attack from as many sides as possible so the turrets have to turn to hit each individual group. Since gunturrets attack in columns if your multiwinians are one behind the other they'll be mowed down instantly but if they are in are a long row (or clumps which are more manageable) they're harder to shoot. Obviously don't send clusters towards rocket turrets, again spread multiwinians thin and against flameturrets clumps and formations will just ignite.

When attacking spawn points try to send in a group of non-formation multiwinians from the back (If they have an officer directing spawned multiwinians one way try to attack to the back or the sides of the officer). As soon as you get into laser range move into formation and push on forward to the spawn point since if they've sent all their Multiwinians elsewhere there shouldn't be much resistance. If your multiwinians aren't in formation they might take a while to wipe out resistance since they always retreat after one shot and the enemy will have time to react and you don't get the chance to generate reinforcements from the newly captured spawn points.

Formations at chokepoints=good.
Turrets at chokepoints=better.
Formation in front of gunturrets=fantastic. (It puts a buffer in front of your Multiwinians controlling the turrets so a stray laser/grenade doesn't shut down your turret momentarily)
Multiwinians in any form in front of flameturrets=bad. (Though hilarious)
Formations in front of rocketturrett=risky. (I'd advise against it, it does but a buffer but most of the time if they're that close you'll just suffer friendly fire)

If you're trying to capture a crate and your Multiwinian's keep on running since it is contested create a formation. Not only does that often give you a firepower advantage it also means your Multiwinians won't run while capturing it and sometimes it only takes a few seconds to capture (or lose) a crate which could potentially turn the whole tide of the battle.

Most of these are common sense but hopefully it will help a lot of people gain the upperhand and play more efficiently.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:27 am

If you're quick enough, one tactic is to break formation, run to where you need to, then re-form wherever needed.
Cabbage
level2
level2

Postby Cabbage » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:57 pm

If you're facing an enemy formation with your own, but are outnumbered, try to disband the formation. If you get lucky, your multiwinians will unleash a barrage of grenades and reduce the enemy to bits. This actually happens often enough to justify the risk, in my experience.
Darthcaboose
level0

Postby Darthcaboose » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:09 pm

Cabbage wrote:If you're facing an enemy formation with your own, but are outnumbered, try to disband the formation. If you get lucky, your multiwinians will unleash a barrage of grenades and reduce the enemy to bits. This actually happens often enough to justify the risk, in my experience.

Your position versus their position is also pretty important. If the enemy has the high ground, don't expect any grenades to hit their mark.

Is there anyway to move an officer to a location without setting him in formation mode? It just seems a little inconvenient to have to set him to formation mode and then move him...
Cabbage
level2
level2

Postby Cabbage » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:12 pm

Darthcaboose wrote:
Cabbage wrote:If you're facing an enemy formation with your own, but are outnumbered, try to disband the formation. If you get lucky, your multiwinians will unleash a barrage of grenades and reduce the enemy to bits. This actually happens often enough to justify the risk, in my experience.

Your position versus their position is also pretty important. If the enemy has the high ground, don't expect any grenades to hit their mark.

Is there anyway to move an officer to a location without setting him in formation mode? It just seems a little inconvenient to have to set him to formation mode and then move him...

Shift + RMB
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:26 pm

Also use the Shift+RMB with armors to goto one spot and load/unload automatically. I love the manual, its my friend.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:08 pm

sfericz wrote:Also use the Shift+RMB with armors to goto one spot and load/unload automatically. I love the manual, its my friend.
Note to self: Read manual.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:10 pm

sfericz wrote:Also use the Shift+RMB with armors to goto one spot and load/unload automatically. I love the manual, its my friend.

This also works by clicking on the place multiple times. One click to move, two to unload, three to load (those last two might be switched).
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:27 pm

Usually it goes unload, then load. If the transporter is empty, however, load is first.

Shift clicking skips the normal "goto" command directly to the 2nd command which is either unload or load, depending on if it has DGs in it or not. ;)
Orange Soda
level2
level2

Postby Orange Soda » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:47 am

Mas Tnega wrote:

Note to self: pester IV about making a PDF of the manual available through steam.
Pants
level1
level1

Postby Pants » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:44 am

Orange Soda wrote:
Mas Tnega wrote:

Note to self: pester IV about making a PDF of the manual available through steam.

It _is_ available though steam!

The link is on the Steam Store page for multiwinia, over on the right side, "View the Manual":

http://cdn.steampowered.com/Manuals/153 ... nglish.pdf
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:49 am

Note to self: Pester IV about my preorder which, according to their store, hasn't shipped yet.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:02 am

Poor, poor Kuth :P Mine hasn't shipped yet, either. You can play the game, can't you? ;)
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch

Return to “Strategy and Tactics”