or a genie lamp?
25%

Total votes: 8
GreenRock
level4
level4

Statue Perspective

Postby GreenRock » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:02 pm

Myst and I were having a conversation concerning one of the statues.
Is it a teapot or is it a genie lamp!?!?

We need an official title for this statue so it can be properly addressed by the multiwinia community.
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:49 pm

jelco wrote:A teapot, one from the west to be precise. ;)

Jelco

Jelco sure knows his stuff!!! i dont get why its a joke though.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:55 pm

It's a joke?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:10 pm

GreenRock wrote:
jelco wrote:A teapot, one from the west to be precise. ;)

Jelco

Jelco sure knows his stuff!!! i dont get why its a joke though.

Utah is part of the American west. Thus, a teapot from Utah (i.e. the Utah Teapot) is a teapot from the west. Any other questions?

xander
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:11 am

jelco wrote:I think it's more about the fact that according to Wikipedia, it's considered an in-joke - which is correct. Why exactly I can't explain (as with most in-jokes it just sort of became a running gag) but generally people from the modelling and graphics community have been hiding teapots everywhere for fun. Which, in case you hadn't realized it yet, is exactly the reason it's a statue in Multiwinia. ;)

Jelco

Well put. this is very interesting because im planning to become a programmer and a graphics designer. you seem to be very knowledgeable about this kinda stuff Jelco, so im assuming your a graphic artist also?
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:20 am

Utah is part of the American west. Thus, a teapot from Utah (i.e. the Utah Teapot) is a teapot from the west. Any other questions?

xander[/quote]

not only are you stating the obvious, but did you even click the link? LOL
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:44 am

GreenRock, I am familiar with the Utah teapot. For some one who was unfamiliar with it to begin the topic, I see no reason for you to be so condescending. As to my previous comment, I figured that NeatNit had enough brains to read the article and figure out the joke for himself. Thus, I assumed that he was referring to the smiley attached to Jelco's post, because the in-joke of the teapot seemed so obvious to me that I couldn't imagine anyone having to ask the question. So, I am sorry that I assumed that NeatNit was not an idiot, and that this offended you.

xander
jennyfifi
level0

Postby jennyfifi » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:21 am

I was registered at your forum. I have printed the test message. Do not delete, please.
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:44 am

xander wrote:GreenRock, I am familiar with the Utah teapot. For some one who was unfamiliar with it to begin the topic, I see no reason for you to be so condescending. As to my previous comment, I figured that NeatNit had enough brains to read the article and figure out the joke for himself. Thus, I assumed that he was referring to the smiley attached to Jelco's post, because the in-joke of the teapot seemed so obvious to me that I couldn't imagine anyone having to ask the question. So, I am sorry that I assumed that NeatNit was not an idiot, and that this offended you.

xander

whoa whoa, sorry if you percieved it that way. ;)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:07 am

GreenRock wrote:whoa whoa, sorry if you percieved it that way. ;)

This is what we call a "notpology." You say the words "I'm sorry" (or some variation thereof), then proceed to explain how it was really not your fault, but mine. Again, whether intentionally or not, you are being insulting.

xander
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:58 am

just go down on your knees and bite dust greenie, anything less is unacceptable.
tiro
level1
level1

Postby tiro » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:04 am

whoa, he didn't kill nobody
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:11 pm

yay bump.
ItchyDani3l
level1
level1

Postby ItchyDani3l » Mon May 07, 2012 5:36 am

(Sorry for the necro)

The reason the teapot is so popular in video games is because it was the first 3D model to be rendered - ever.
Why they chose the teapot to render first, I don't know. But that's how it is, so now it's a running gag.
Some 3D modeling softwares even have the 'render' button as a picture of the Utah Teapot, which is not uncommon.

It's kind of like how Gordon Freeman from Half-Life uses a crowbar as a melee weapon. The crowbar used as a weapon is now a gag used in games everywhere.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon May 07, 2012 5:36 pm

ItchyDani3l wrote:(Sorry for the necro)

The reason the teapot is so popular in video games is because it was the first 3D model to be rendered - ever.
Why they chose the teapot to render first, I don't know. But that's how it is, so now it's a running gag.
Some 3D modeling softwares even have the 'render' button as a picture of the Utah Teapot, which is not uncommon.

Which is exactly why the Wikipedia page for the Utah teapot is linked in the very first reply to this topic.

xander

Return to “Gameplay Discussion”