Statue Perspective

General discussion about Game Play

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

Is the statue with the spout a....

Poll ended at Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:02 pm

Teapot
6
75%
or a genie lamp?
2
25%
 
Total votes: 8
User avatar
GreenRock
level4
level4
Posts: 512
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 3:47 pm
Location: Triangulating...

Statue Perspective

Postby GreenRock » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:02 pm

Myst and I were having a conversation concerning one of the statues.
Is it a teapot or is it a genie lamp!?!?

We need an official title for this statue so it can be properly addressed by the multiwinia community.
User avatar
jelco
level5
level5
Posts: 6018
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 am
Location: Cygnus X-1
Contact:

Postby jelco » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:33 pm

A teapot, one from the west to be precise. ;)

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
User avatar
GreenRock
level4
level4
Posts: 512
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 3:47 pm
Location: Triangulating...

Postby GreenRock » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:49 pm

jelco wrote:A teapot, one from the west to be precise. ;)

Jelco


Jelco sure knows his stuff!!! i dont get why its a joke though.
User avatar
NeatNit
level5
level5
Posts: 2929
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:41 pm
Location: Israel
Contact:

Postby NeatNit » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:55 pm

It's a joke?
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16863
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Riverside, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:10 pm

GreenRock wrote:
jelco wrote:A teapot, one from the west to be precise. ;)

Jelco


Jelco sure knows his stuff!!! i dont get why its a joke though.

Utah is part of the American west. Thus, a teapot from Utah (i.e. the Utah Teapot) is a teapot from the west. Any other questions?

xander
User avatar
jelco
level5
level5
Posts: 6018
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 am
Location: Cygnus X-1
Contact:

Postby jelco » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:15 pm

I think it's more about the fact that according to Wikipedia, it's considered an in-joke - which is correct. Why exactly I can't explain (as with most in-jokes it just sort of became a running gag) but generally people from the modelling and graphics community have been hiding teapots everywhere for fun. Which, in case you hadn't realized it yet, is exactly the reason it's a statue in Multiwinia. ;)

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
User avatar
GreenRock
level4
level4
Posts: 512
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 3:47 pm
Location: Triangulating...

Postby GreenRock » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:11 am

jelco wrote:I think it's more about the fact that according to Wikipedia, it's considered an in-joke - which is correct. Why exactly I can't explain (as with most in-jokes it just sort of became a running gag) but generally people from the modelling and graphics community have been hiding teapots everywhere for fun. Which, in case you hadn't realized it yet, is exactly the reason it's a statue in Multiwinia. ;)

Jelco


Well put. this is very interesting because im planning to become a programmer and a graphics designer. you seem to be very knowledgeable about this kinda stuff Jelco, so im assuming your a graphic artist also?
User avatar
GreenRock
level4
level4
Posts: 512
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 3:47 pm
Location: Triangulating...

Postby GreenRock » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:20 am

Utah is part of the American west. Thus, a teapot from Utah (i.e. the Utah Teapot) is a teapot from the west. Any other questions?

xander[/quote]

not only are you stating the obvious, but did you even click the link? LOL
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16863
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Riverside, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:44 am

GreenRock, I am familiar with the Utah teapot. For some one who was unfamiliar with it to begin the topic, I see no reason for you to be so condescending. As to my previous comment, I figured that NeatNit had enough brains to read the article and figure out the joke for himself. Thus, I assumed that he was referring to the smiley attached to Jelco's post, because the in-joke of the teapot seemed so obvious to me that I couldn't imagine anyone having to ask the question. So, I am sorry that I assumed that NeatNit was not an idiot, and that this offended you.

xander
jennyfifi
level0
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:17 am

Postby jennyfifi » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:21 am

I was registered at your forum. I have printed the test message. Do not delete, please.
User avatar
jelco
level5
level5
Posts: 6018
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 am
Location: Cygnus X-1
Contact:

Postby jelco » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:23 am

jennyfifi wrote:I was registered at your forum. I have printed the test message. Do not delete, please.

Alright, I need to quote this for archival purposes.

Image
Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
User avatar
GreenRock
level4
level4
Posts: 512
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 3:47 pm
Location: Triangulating...

Postby GreenRock » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:44 am

xander wrote:GreenRock, I am familiar with the Utah teapot. For some one who was unfamiliar with it to begin the topic, I see no reason for you to be so condescending. As to my previous comment, I figured that NeatNit had enough brains to read the article and figure out the joke for himself. Thus, I assumed that he was referring to the smiley attached to Jelco's post, because the in-joke of the teapot seemed so obvious to me that I couldn't imagine anyone having to ask the question. So, I am sorry that I assumed that NeatNit was not an idiot, and that this offended you.

xander


whoa whoa, sorry if you percieved it that way. ;)
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16863
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Riverside, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:07 am

GreenRock wrote:whoa whoa, sorry if you percieved it that way. ;)

This is what we call a "notpology." You say the words "I'm sorry" (or some variation thereof), then proceed to explain how it was really not your fault, but mine. Again, whether intentionally or not, you are being insulting.

xander
Jordy...
level5
level5
Posts: 2367
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:57 pm

Postby Jordy... » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:58 am

just go down on your knees and bite dust greenie, anything less is unacceptable.
tiro
level1
level1
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 8:16 am

Postby tiro » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:04 am

whoa, he didn't kill nobody

Return to “Gameplay Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest