CowboyNeal/Nuke W(h)ales/Smashed Trout
50%

Total votes: 12
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Rocket camping as a long-term strategy.

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:44 pm

To those with access to relevant things, this very recent match has a satisfying amounts of "AAAAAAH!"s "NOOOOOOO!"s going on throughout, while perhaps being more than a little long.

Following from a previous question on game ethics, and someone thinking people should be more open about their dirty moves, I'll talk about mine.

My approach to the Heart of Chaos map is this:
Capture all of the turrets on both enemy islands.
Slowly mass on all three islands while the other two kill each other to get all that fuel I'm about to burn for them.
Grab power ups and use them to limit how much pumping can be done at all, i.e. pray for ants nests and eggs.
Grab the pumps.
Reinforce.

Basically, I deal with the biggest problem to come up and solve it first, then deal with the rest at my own happy pace. The most rewarding part of doing this comes up when both teams come up with the idea of playing the game like it's assault as attacker and start going hell for leather against my pyrotechnical divisions.

Opinions? No one's complained about it so far, so I thought I'd give the forums a chance.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:03 am

I will link to this article, though there are several on the page that make the point: the rules of the game are set by the programming. It is impossible to "cheat" in a video game unless you are somehow injecting illegal code, commands, or other things into the game. Unlike games in the real world, where the rules are negotiated by the players, or imposed by some kind of standards making body, the rules of video games are imposed by the limits of the program. If the game allows something to happen, and this is not due to some bug, then it is fair. Whether or not a game with such strategies is any fun is something else to debate, but irrelevant to whether or not something is "ethical" or "fair."

xander
TheRileyDuo
level1
level1

Postby TheRileyDuo » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:07 am

It seems like eventually, you'll spread your forces to thin. Plus, your strategy doesn't work if I choose to reinforce my turrets straight away.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:57 am

xander wrote:I will link to this article, though there are several on the page that make the point: the rules of the game are set by the programming. It is impossible to "cheat" in a video game unless you are somehow injecting illegal code, commands, or other things into the game. Unlike games in the real world, where the rules are negotiated by the players, or imposed by some kind of standards making body, the rules of video games are imposed by the limits of the program. If the game allows something to happen, and this is not due to some bug, then it is fair. Whether or not a game with such strategies is any fun is something else to debate, but irrelevant to whether or not something is "ethical" or "fair."

xander
Fun fact: A lot of glitches tend to be fair game too.

TheRileyDuo wrote:It seems like eventually, you'll spread your forces to thin.
If I'm not taking casualties, and I'm dragging this out to 15 minutes, I have over 600 MWs. When I only need 80 on any enemy island, 60 to control a meaningful number of pumps, and 200 on my own island, how do I account for the other 180?

Plus, your strategy doesn't work if I choose to reinforce my turrets straight away.
Please do this. The only reason I play Heart of Chaos is because I can be a total dick and win without resorting to bombing your MWs every minute (which is seriously boring if all sides do it).
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:59 am

I like the sound of your strategy, never play much rr but I defenitely gonna try this one:). Btw I voted for the last one, altho I have no clue what the hack you mean with it, but again it sounds cool. Really any strategy based on let 2 players kill each other I'll waite and win should be good but defenitely in rr because you don't have timelimit.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:08 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:Fun fact: A lot of glitches tend to be fair game too.

I agree, though I think this is where social rule making comes into play. If a tactic obviously exploits a glitch or programming error, then it is incumbent upon the players to set the groundrules for exploitation of that glitch. It is fair for a player to complain that the glitch is being exploited against them. However, that is neither here nor there, as you are not exploiting a glitch when you camp an enemy rocket. ;)

xander

Return to “Gameplay Discussion”