Unused Multiwinia Powerups?

General discussion about Game Play

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Kuth
level4
level4

Unused Multiwinia Powerups?

Postby Kuth » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:34 pm

After unzipping the .main file to put in NukeLord's map, I looked at the other files to explore the possibilites of giving Multiwinia it's first Graphics mod (for the user interface). Looked at the powerup icons and found some "Interesting" exceptions:

The filenames, from left to right and top to bottom, are:

Fireextinguisher
Control
Fireextinguisher (repeated, lazy me :\)
Dropship
Laser
Shaman
Tank
Taskmanager

When I saw the tank I immediately thought of the huge monstrosity briefly seen in the first test videos of a multiplayer Darwinia. It may have been the same unit. It also seems that Shamans might have been considered as actual ingame units once upon a time. The Dropship I presume was an airborne APC, though with the APC being able to traverse any kind of terrain I guess this became moot.

Though I wonder what some of the other things were, like the Task manager, Laser, and Grenade (not shown here). Fireextinguisher would have been nice, but I wonder how it functioned ingame when first proposed.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:41 pm

Some of those are actually old icons for current units.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:44 pm

Also, I assume task manager is left over from Darwinia (I think it might be the only icon that isn't still used).

Look at english.txt or more hidden goodies.
lorant
level1
level1

Postby lorant » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:45 pm

Actually, there seem to be also unused (obsolete? future?) game modes. there's several levels named mp_tankbattle and mp_skirmish, with thumbnails and all. The "tank" powerup is used in the tankbattle maps...
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:49 pm

I presumed that some of the icons here were left over from Darwinia... but did they have the same circle icon whenever they were used?

More poking around let me look at the 'Stats.txt', which presumably is game statistics for various units! Shamans are here, but were I to guess I'd say "Shamans" became Futurewinians, and Shamans were regulated to a story element.

Although it would be pretty awesome to see Shamans on a Multiwinia map, even if it's an assault map where you're tasked to defend them.
NukeLord
level4
level4

Postby NukeLord » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:04 pm

Just pointing out that you don't have to unzip main.dat to run custom maps, just put the data folder in your multiwinia directory and it should play fine.

I'm surprised nobody's checked out the mysterious tanks and their tank battle maps yet with all this editing and poking around going on, who knows what might be found?
*cou[size=0]tanks[/size]gh*
lorant
level1
level1

Postby lorant » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:06 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:Skirmish is domination. ;)

Yes, I've just seen that in the map files. But tankbattle maps have "TankBattle" as GameTypes, plus some other oddities. Was this a mode that was phased out during the beta?

NukeLord: I've done just that, but I'm yet to see the tank. Can't place them on the map...
Last edited by lorant on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miktor
level1
level1

Postby Miktor » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:07 pm

I don't think we'll need a unit like a tank, since the squad does the job, and transportation is anyway done through the armour. But some of those made me think of interesting ideas.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:10 pm

I don't think we'll need a unit like a tank, since the squad does the job, and transportation is anyway done through the armour. But some of those made me think of interesting ideas.

I disagree. I must have the giant hovering armor with the huge gun on it :D

*Ponders if NukeLord's implying we can find tanks through exploring the levels*

I'm wondering if there's a way to modify the GUI and spirtes. It seems so, but I wonder which of the...two? charred spirtes found in here the Evilwinians used.
NukeLord
level4
level4

Postby NukeLord » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:21 pm

Kuth wrote:*Ponders if NukeLord's implying we can find tanks through exploring the levels*
lorant wrote:NukeLord: I've done just that, but I'm yet to see the tank. Can't place them on the map...
Yeah, those uneditable, heavily encrypted text files sure are hard to crack, eh?
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:25 pm

I'd be a little disappointed if they were outright deleted. Ah well, IV has control of the content in their games...
lorant
level1
level1

Postby lorant » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:25 pm

I agree that we don't need a tank powerup, but what about a tank arena game mode? Sounds fun... (especially if the tank is user controlable and has a long range cannon ^_^)

Yeah, those uneditable, heavily encrypted text files sure are hard to crack, eh?

Just forgot to turn a flag on...
Last edited by lorant on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:26 pm

the tank is a lie...
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:35 pm

There is no tank! We did not have much fun with it during the beta and take it out to spite you!

The lines come out of its head!
Donat
level1
level1

Postby Donat » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:49 pm

Pox wrote:There is no tank! We did not have much fun with it during the beta and take it out to spite you!

The lines come out of its head!

Don't you beta people have some sort of NDA ya keep blabing about :P

Return to “Gameplay Discussion”