Unused Multiwinia Powerups?

General discussion about Game Play

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:51 pm

I'd tell you but<NDA>
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
hibbs
level2
level2

Postby hibbs » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:21 am

Don't you beta people have some sort of NDA ya keep blabing about

Yes they do. but NDA and NDA with the possibilty NDA plus when you NDA then you can expect NDA And NDA will rule the NDA. :D try figuring that out :wink:
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:23 am

Donat wrote:Don't you beta people have some sort of NDA ya keep blabing about :P

We're not allowed to talk about it, due to the NDA.
Donat
level1
level1

Postby Donat » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:27 am

Righto.. got it from the first time i was just wondering if he broke it or not, nasty things.
St!gar
level1
level1

Postby St!gar » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:43 pm

It's a shame they removed the Shamans... I read about them in one of the map-descriptions, and I'd like to see what those mysterious, mysterious people looked like in the game...
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:34 am

Well, I was bored, so I made a map and just randomly added in a bunch of units out of stats.txt which no longer exist, or shouldn't be used this way:

Shaman - are really fast moving officers (like DG speed) - don't really do anything at all except die. If they're set as runastask, the game will crash when they die.

Tank - runastask prevents you from actually placing them, it seems. Seting this as 0 just places the unit, which you can control but doesn't show up as a task. Seems to move and fire with rmb click, so could be a casualty of the apparent control scheme changes that have occured between Darwinia and Multiwinia

SpaceShip - creates a giant futurewinian UFO. The beam it uses to beam units up will recolour to the team it's on, but it wil always beam down futurewinans; http://tgf.the-icebox.com/crapmods/arealinvasion.JPG

DropShip - look just like tiny futurewinian UFOs, don't appear at all as tasks, and do nothing as placed units.

Tentacle - I have no idea what these really are. They seem to be wierd verticle centipedes, killing everything at their base. DGs didn't attack them (I guessed they might be centipede based when they crashed with an in unit flag error, so Iset them as count 20 inunit 1). These are actually pretty cool http://tgf.the-icebox.com/crapmods/ohmygodwhat.JPG
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:52 am

Did shamans have the same model as an officer? And what of the tank, was it the same one from the early Darwinia MP video?

Thanks for exploring that for us, TGF :)
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:01 am

Yeah it looked like the officer shape with no flag. Also I haev no idea about the tank, but it looked like the old tank model from Darwinia, so odds are it's the same shape you saw in the video.

Also, the tentacles were on the same team, moving them to eg team 5 made the DGs attack them, but nothing came of this. They could be interesting ornaments in a level but nothing more.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:08 am

Well, when map-making goes into full swing perhaps they can be considered for 'dangerous terrain' like the dark trees are currently.

I'd like to see the old, unusued models from development show up as non-functional shapes for level decoration. Maybe burned-out tanks with fire as an ornament? A control point?
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:05 am

Funny you should bring up stuff like that.

Getting a buildings list via hex editing the game (Ask NeoThermic, apparentlly) you can find out some of thew new buildings that are also unused. Most of them are broken, but still look neat. The only 3 of consequnce (and now landscape_volcanic makes a lot more sense);

http://tgf.the-icebox.com/crapmods/smokemarker.JPG
http://tgf.the-icebox.com/crapmods/eruptionmarker1.JPG
http://tgf.the-icebox.com/crapmods/eruptionmarker2.JPG
http://tgf.the-icebox.com/crapmods/portal.JPG
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:21 am

Should probably move this element of the discussion to the modding forum... but alas...

the question is whether the flame can be limited to a small area for local fires, and if said flames can actually set things on fire (multiwinians, trees, et.all). Fields of flame, anyone? :)

I'm really eager to see what the limitations of the new map editor are.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:34 pm

I spotted a tripod ogg file when searching through after pre-loading, do they still work?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:52 pm

MrBunsy wrote:I spotted a tripod ogg file when searching through after pre-loading, do they still work?

Probably about as well as they ever worked. ;)

xander
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:07 pm

That's interesting actually; tripods never had sound files before, maybe now they do..

(investigates)

Didn't notice any sounds, and tripods still work as well as they did before (just like xander said) - the 3 tripods just wandered around the field scaring DGs and trying to shoot things. To be honest they were actually pretty neat, because they move around a lot more than normal viral units - I'd quite like to see a bring back tripods.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:04 pm

The GoldFish wrote:That's interesting actually; tripods never had sound files before, maybe now they do..

(investigates)

Didn't notice any sounds, and tripods still work as well as they did before (just like xander said) - the 3 tripods just wandered around the field scaring DGs and trying to shoot things. To be honest they were actually pretty neat, because they move around a lot more than normal viral units - I'd quite like to see a bring back tripods.

If tripods could be made to work, I would love to see them. Actually, they would be pretty nifty as part of the Futurewinia's team (like the tripods in War of the Worlds). However, as things stand now, they consider the entire map to be within their range, thus they suck in actual play. Also, I never thought they had powerful enough weapons. ;)

xander

Return to “Gameplay Discussion”