Multiwinia controls reversed

General discussion about Game Play

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Do you keep hitting the Q instead of the E, or the other way around?

No, I don't. I adapted right away!
71%
No, I don't. But then, I hardly ever played Darwinia.
13%
Yes, I do. I wish they would be identical to Darwinia.
16%

Total votes: 31
MrVulcan
level0

Multiwinia controls reversed

Postby MrVulcan » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:00 pm

Although I've always wanted to be able to use the SpacePilot in Darwinia, I have kinda gotten used to the keyboard controls. Now I try the Multiwinia demo...tap the E to go up...and find myself going down. :?:

This begs the question, why has Introversion reversed the Q and the E in Multiwinia, as compared to Darwinia?

I'd like to ask that this be corrected, or that an option be made to allow the user to reverse at least these keys - maybe even re-assign all of them.

Thanks in advance.

I made a poll to see how many users agree with me. I do hope that I accounted for all the answers that people would like to give. If I haven't, then feel free to let me know.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:29 pm

They are identical to Darwinia. They haven't changed at all (and I just double checked to be sure).
Tricycle21
level2
level2

Postby Tricycle21 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:29 pm

Maybe it's for defcon users. I'm not sure.
TRC21

Oh yes.

3 meter above. I think.
tals
level1
level1

Postby tals » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:01 pm

I use the wasd keys and the scroll button to go up and down so not noticed an issue.

Tals
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:45 pm

I don't use Q and E, I use the mouse wheel. I am getting confused because I've been playing Spore lately, and it's bizarre control scheme requires to you scroll up to go down.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:46 pm

I use W and X and the mousewheel.

@_@
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:06 pm

*is baffled by TGF's control scheme*
NukeLord
level4
level4

Postby NukeLord » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:37 pm

Phelanpt wrote:*is baffled by TGF's control scheme*
Everyone who isn't TGF is.
xyzyxx wrote:it's bizarre control scheme requires to you scroll up to go down.
i think the basis in that is that you scroll the mouse wheel towards the screen (up), bringing you closer to what you're looking at (bringing the camera down), which makes as much sense as scrolling up to move the camera up.
MrVulcan
level0

Postby MrVulcan » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:02 am

Icepick wrote:They are identical to Darwinia. They haven't changed at all (and I just double checked to be sure).

I just installed the patch to 1.5.11 on Darwinia, and now the Q and the E work like they do in Multiwinia - I had only used version 1.4.2 (or is it 1.42?) until just now. Having said that, I am certain that in Darwinia 1.4.2 (or 1.42) the Q and the E were reversed - Q took me down, and E took me up.

Icepick, you are among the developers of Darwinia...so, far be it from me to doubt your knowledge about it. Having said that, I double checked my findings...and they are accurate.

Is it possible that the keys have been switched around when these settings were moved to either the registry or another file? Personally, I can't find any other explanation. I'm wondering about this, because I just noticed that Darwinia doesn't work with the preferences.txt file anymore.

EDIT: Well, this is not entirely true. There is still a file named preferences.txt, but it has moved.
Last edited by MrVulcan on Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:40 am

Default 1.42 controls screenshot;

PS if you're using vista, 1.5.X will use the savedgames folder for preferences.txt, rather than the program's running directory.
MrVulcan
level0

Postby MrVulcan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:26 pm

The GoldFish wrote:Default 1.42 controls screenshot;

PS if you're using vista, 1.5.X will use the savedgames folder for preferences.txt, rather than the program's running directory.

Screenshots, of course! Let me add my own screenshot of Darwinia 1.5.11...

...I think you'll find that the keys for UP and DOWN are indeed the other way around.
Live long and prosper,

MrVulcan
MrVulcan
level0

Postby MrVulcan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:35 pm

Icepick wrote:They are identical to Darwinia. They haven't changed at all (and I just double checked to be sure).

I just replied to someone else, but I doubt that you'll receive a notification about it. That's why I write this here, to make sure that you do receive a notification.
Live long and prosper,

MrVulcan
DoubleFelix
level1
level1

Postby DoubleFelix » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:21 am

I use the scroll wheel.
TomCat39
level3
level3

Postby TomCat39 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:37 pm

I had to switch E and Q in Darwinia 1.4.2 from steam so that E was up. Originally it was E down and Q was up and it just didn't feel right. I think being right handed has something to do with the feel of wich key should be up and which should be down.

So once again, I fixed it in multiwinia too so that E was up being prior to version 1.2 E was once again down. I don't know about 1.2 defaults off hand being I've been running a custom input_preferences.txt file for quite some time.

I think the steam version 1.2.0 also has E as down by default but don't quote me on that.

All this is the English version btw.

Ciao.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:50 pm

TomCat39 wrote:So once again, I fixed it in multiwinia too so that E was up being prior to version 1.2 E was once again down. I don't know about 1.2 defaults off hand being I've been running a custom input_preferences.txt file for quite some time.

I think the steam version 1.2.0 also has E as down by default but don't quote me on that.

I only have the retail normally version of the game, and the input pref files suggest that no such chain has occured, unless I have failed in my file organising...

Return to “Gameplay Discussion”